1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped Oscillations?

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Marie observes damped oscillations of a glider on an air track. She observed that the amplitude decreased to 50% of its original value after 10 seconds. What is the decay constant for the motion of the glider?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

It seems the equation including the decay constant (involving the displacement, amplitude, angular frequency, and time) seems a little overcomplicated, considering the information given for this particular example.

However, I do know that if the motion of the damped glider is plotted, then the decay constant τ can be derived from the equation τ = -log e/slope. From the information given, I know that the graph will be of an exponential function, but how do I know what the slope of it would be given a 50% reduction in 10 seconds? Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Won't the equation be proportional then to e(-kt) ?

Doesn't that mean then that e(-k*10) = 1/2 ?

What happens if you then take the natural log of both sides?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?