1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped Oscillators

1. Jun 14, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2017-6-14_22-0-8.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

After the release the block will move towards right and friction will be towards the left.

##M\ddot x = f - kx##

Solving for ##x##,

##x = A\cos (\omega t) + B\sin(\omega t) + f/k##

Initial conditions are ##x(0) = x_0, \dot x(0) = 0##

##\therefore x(t) = \left(x_0 - \dfrac fk\right)\cos (\omega t) + f/k##

But now how shall I show that amplitude decreases with each oscillation at a constant rate ?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One error that I see is you have Sum of forces = f - kx, which means that you are assuming f is always pointing in the same direction. This is not the case. The friction force (f) will be in the opposite direction of motion.

4. Jun 14, 2017 #3

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here is a way to approach it. You can derive (or get formulas from the textbook) that energy of a spring is (1/2)*k*x2, where x is the displacement from equilibrium. Could you make an equation that takes into account the work done by friction (f*d)? Sorry I forgot the squared after x, which has been corrected now.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  5. Jun 14, 2017 #4
    I took the left side of the equilibrium point as +ve axis and other side as negative. Since the spring force is pulling towards right, it is -ve and since friction is towards left it is +ve, but I guess the signs will change with each oscillation.

Ok I will try.

6. Jun 14, 2017 #5
    Here is what I did,

##\dfrac 12 kx_0^2 = -\int_0^{x_0 + A} f\cdot dr + \dfrac 12k A^2 \implies kx_0^2 = -2 f(x_0 + A) + k A^2##

Solving for ##A## I got, ##A = - x_0## or ##A = \dfrac {2f}k + x_0##,

Second solution say amplitude increased. Where I am wrong ?

7. Jun 14, 2017 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The work done against friction is ##+
    \int_0^{x_0 + A} f\cdot dr##

8. Jun 14, 2017 #7
    I felt that should be the case but think of it like this, if friction was not there then the enegry would be ##1/2kA^2##, friction is taking some energy out of it and converting it into heat. So I thought it should be -ve.

9. Jun 14, 2017 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As far as I can see, you have not defined A. x0 is the initial amplitude. From your integral, I deduced A represents the amplitude after one half cycle, i.e. from max displacement one way to max the other way.
    The initial energy is ##\frac 12 kx_0^2##. After one half cycle, ##\int _{-x_0}^Af.dr## has gone to friction and the remainder is ##\frac 12kA^2##.

10. Jun 15, 2017 #9
    Ok so after one full oscillation the amplitude will be ##A = x_0 - \dfrac{4f}k##.

11. Jun 15, 2017 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted