1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped Pendulum

1. Aug 20, 2008 #1
    I am doing an experiment on the pendulum, and i wanted to do something on the damping, i understand a little as i have done some reading on it, the picture attached show the working i have done, i have reached a second order DE and i know little about this. So my question is, can you plot a graph? and how can you find out the damping co efficent, i have some results i have measured the amplitude every other half oscilation.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, you have mx"+ (k/m)x'+ nx= 0. That's a linear homogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients, about the simplest possible equation. If you "try" a solution of the form x= ert, you arrive at the characteristic equation:
    mr2+ (k/m)r+ n= 0. That is a quadratic equation and can be solved by the quadratic equation, giving r= a+bi and a- bi which means that the solutions to the differential equation are of the form C1e(a+ bi)t+ C2e(a-bi)t which can in turn be written eat(D1cos(bt)+ D2sin(bt)). You must have some initial conditions to determine D1 and D2.

4. Aug 20, 2008 #3
    ok so i get that, abit, but does that allow me to plot a curve? or can i solve the equation for k?

5. Aug 20, 2008 #4
    also eat(D1cos(bt)+ D2sin(bt)) what is that equal to? zero? Thanks for all your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook