1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dampened Harmonic Motion

1. Oct 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A mass on the end of a spring is released from rest at position x0. The experiment is repeated, but now with the system immersed in a fluid that causes the motion to be critically damped. Show that the maximum speed of the mass in the first case is e times the maximum speed in the second case. This is question is out of Morin 4.28

3. The attempt at a solution

So for the initial case, we have x(t) = Acost(wt) => v(t) = -Awsin(wt). From initial conditions, we have x(0) = x0 and v(0) = 0. Using this, we find that A=x0. Thus v_max = +/- x0*w.

The next part is more confusing. Taking the solution to the critically damped case, we have x(t) = e^(-γt) * (A+Bt)
    Then solving for the initial conditions, I have A = x0 and B = γ*x0. Taking the derivative of x, we have
    v(t) = e^(γt) * (-γ^2 * x0 * t) . Note γ = w. But you can't solve for v_max from there. So I'm kinda stuck. Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Why can't you solve for ##v_\text{max}##? How do you find the maximum of a function?

4. Oct 17, 2014 #3
    Well in this case set v(t) equal to 0 and solve for t. So we have e^(γt) ≠ 0, and -γ^2 * x0 * t = 0 ⇒ t = 0
    This makes no sense, since at t=0, you are at rest. This is why I'm stuck.

5. Oct 17, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Solving v(t)=0 would find when the velocity is 0, not when the velocity attains a maximum.

6. Oct 17, 2014 #5
    oh wow I feel pretty silly now. I can't believe I overlooked something so simple. Thanks a ton Vela.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted