Designing a Damper: Needing Guidance

In summary, the conversation is about designing a damper for a system with a beam, maximum loading, and specific energy and stroke requirements. The person is seeking help in calculating the damper's requirements, including frequency and ζ, as well as clarifying the role of gravity, springs, and fixed points in the system. They have provided some initial data and measurements, but may need more information to accurately calculate the damper's specifications.
mholland
Hi I'm a bit stuck on a problem I'm trying to figure out.
I am trying to design a damper, the layout is show below:
damperlayout.jpg

(apologies for the poor 'cad' drawing!)
So far i know:
I for the beam, how much energy needs to be absorbed by the damper (4500j) and the stroke (15mm). The maximum loading allowed on the fixings is 400kN
From these I've figure out that that ω of the beam is 2.289rad/s. I do not know the initial velocity.
I'm just after some pointers to calculate damper requirements/ζ
I'm a bit confused as to how to calculate the frequency of the system as it is to absorb a single impact effectively, and have a hard stop

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does gravity act in this problem? Which way? Is there any spring? What is the black arrow? How high is the red post at the left end where the damper is connected? Is the 0.3 m leg fixed? Is the disk a fixed pivot?

It would help if you would show how you have figured out the beam frequency and what your assumptions were.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, for the red bar, say 20cm (i'm still waiting on cad drawings for accurate measurements), and yes the .3m post is fixed
Yer gravity acts downwards and there is a spring, which is the main slider tube shown below, forcing the bar to rotate as it extends.
The only data I've been given to work off is what i gave in the first post

Attachments

• mlg.jpg
    mlg.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 534
It looks to me like the left end of the damper goes to a fixed point on the frame, not related in any particular way to the moving red lever. Do you agree, or not?

The short .3m vertical red strut is stationary, and the long 1.3m (and the red triangular attachment) are rotating clockwise, with the ends of the damper attached where shown

1. What is the purpose of a damper in a building?

A damper is a mechanical device that is used to reduce or control the vibrations and movements of a building caused by external forces, such as wind or earthquakes. It helps to stabilize the structure and protect it from damage.

2. What are the different types of dampers that can be used?

There are several types of dampers that can be used in building design, including friction dampers, viscous dampers, tuned mass dampers, and tuned liquid dampers. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is suited for different applications.

3. How do I determine the appropriate size and placement of dampers in a building?

The size and placement of dampers in a building will depend on various factors, such as the building's height, location, and expected external forces. It is important to consult with a structural engineer who can analyze the building's design and determine the most effective placement and size of dampers.

4. Can dampers be retrofitted into existing buildings?

Yes, dampers can be retrofitted into existing buildings to improve their structural stability and resilience. However, the process may be more complicated and costly compared to incorporating dampers into the initial design of a building.

5. How do I ensure the proper functioning of dampers in a building?

Regular maintenance and inspection are crucial to ensure the proper functioning of dampers in a building. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and conduct routine checks to identify any potential issues that may affect the performance of the dampers.