Damping. Altitude vs. Period which has greater effect?

In summary, the effect of damping on the period and amplitude of an oscillating system can vary depending on the specific parameters and characteristics of the system. It is important to consider both factors when determining which effect would be more noticeable. Both the period and amplitude are equally important in describing the behavior of the system.
aaj92

Homework Statement

This is only part of the problem but this is all I'm having trouble with...

Which effect of damping would be more noticeable, the change of period or the decrease of the amplitude?

Homework Equations

x(t)= Ae[itex]^{-\beta t}[/itex] * cos(w[itex]_{1}[/itex]t - [itex]\delta[/itex])

period = [itex]\frac{2Pi}{w_{1}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

so I can sort of make an argument for both but I think I'm leaning more toward the period purely on the fact that w is inside the argument of the cosine so it's effect is smaller than a change in amplitude would be. Is that right? And if it is is it the right logic? because I'm sort of just guessing at this point but it seems to make sense to me...

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to clarify that the effect of damping on the period and amplitude depends on the specific system and its parameters. In general, damping causes both the period and amplitude to decrease, but the extent to which each is affected depends on the damping coefficient and the natural frequency of the system.

In some cases, the decrease in amplitude may be more noticeable because it directly affects the magnitude of the oscillation. On the other hand, in some systems, the change in period may be more noticeable because it directly affects the frequency of the oscillation.

Therefore, it is important to consider both factors and analyze the specific system in question to determine which effect of damping would be more noticeable. Additionally, it is important to note that both the period and amplitude are equally important in describing the behavior of an oscillating system.

1. What is damping?

Damping refers to the ability of a system to dissipate energy and reduce the magnitude of its oscillations over time.

2. How does damping affect a system?

Damping can affect a system by reducing its amplitude, increasing its stability, and decreasing its natural frequency.

3. What is the difference between critical damping and overdamping?

Critical damping occurs when a system returns to its equilibrium position without oscillating, while overdamping occurs when a system takes longer to return to equilibrium and oscillates with decreasing amplitude.

4. Does altitude or period have a greater effect on damping?

The effect of altitude and period on damping can vary depending on the specific system. In general, altitude has a greater effect on damping as it can change the air resistance and viscosity, while period is more closely related to the natural frequency of the system.

5. How can damping be increased in a system?

Damping can be increased in a system by adding damping elements, such as shock absorbers or friction, to dissipate energy. Changing the system's material or design can also affect its damping.