Finding the Damping Constant for a Hard-Boiled Egg on a Spring

In summary, the problem involves a hard-boiled egg of mass 51kg moving on the end of a spring with force constant 25.7N/m. A damping force of f(x) = -bv(x) acts on the egg, causing its amplitude of motion to decrease to 0.101m in 4.55s. The objective is to calculate the magnitude of the damping constant, which can be found by rearranging the equation f(x) = -bv(x) and using the formula w' = sqrt(k/m - b^2/4m^2). The value of w' can be calculated using the given information. The Greek letter w' represents angular frequency in this context.
TFM

Homework Statement

A hard-boiled egg of mass 51.0kg moves on the end of a spring with force constant 25.7N/m. Its initial displacement is 0.293m. A damping force f (x) = -bv (x) acts on the egg, and the amplitude of the motion decreases to 0.101m in a time of 4.55s.

Calculate the magnitude of the damping constant .

Homework Equations

f (x) = -bv (x)

curly:} w'=sqrt(k/m - b^2/4m^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used:

f (x) = -bv (x)

rearranged to give:

b = -f/v (x)

but this didn't work

Do I have to use:

curly:} w'=sqrt(k/m - b^2/4m^2)

and if so, what's the best way to calculate angular frequency (curly:} w')?

TFM

Physics news on Phys.org
Any Ideas...?

You have "w'=sqrt(k/m - b^2/4m^2)"

I can assume that m is the mass of 51 kg (are you sure you copied that right?) and b is the damping coefficient you want to find. I can even guess that k is the spring constant 25.7 N/m but unless you tell what w' means, that equation is meaningless.

It sthe curly Greek w', which I believe means Angular Frequency (?)

TFM

Are yes, the egg is 51g:blushing:

TFM

I have rearranged the equation to get:

b^2 = 4m^2*((k/m)-(w'^2))

I just need to work out angular frequency from the given infomration, but I am not sure what to do...

TFM

Any Ideas?

TFM

w' is the Greek letter (small) omega with a ' . It says that the angular frequency w' is given by:

sqrt(k/m - b^2/4m^2)

But I thought that when a letter has a ' by it, you have to differntiate it?

Can anyone give me sime ideas about what formula's are suitable to find the angular frequency, given the above initial data?

TFM

1. What is damping?

Damping is the gradual decrease in the amplitude of a signal or oscillation over time, due to the dissipation of energy. It is a common phenomenon in various systems, such as mechanical, electrical, and acoustic systems.

2. How does damping affect a boiled egg?

Damping can affect a boiled egg in two ways. Firstly, when the egg is dropped into boiling water, the water's temperature decreases due to the transfer of heat energy to the egg. This results in a decrease in the amplitude of the water molecules' vibrations, causing damping. Secondly, as the egg cooks, the proteins denature and solidify, causing the egg to lose its elasticity and become damped.

3. Why does a boiled egg bounce differently than a raw egg?

A boiled egg bounces differently than a raw egg because of the change in the egg's physical properties due to cooking. A raw egg has a liquid yolk and a flexible protein shell, allowing it to absorb impact and bounce. In contrast, a boiled egg has a solid yolk and a rigid protein shell, resulting in a less elastic bounce.

4. Can damping affect the cooking time of a boiled egg?

Yes, damping can affect the cooking time of a boiled egg. Since damping is the dissipation of energy, it can result in a decrease in the rate of heat transfer to the egg. This means that the egg may take longer to cook and reach the desired level of doneness.

5. How can damping be reduced in a boiled egg?

Damping can be reduced in a boiled egg by using a gentle heat source, such as simmering water instead of boiling water. This will decrease the rate of heat transfer and result in less damping. Additionally, allowing the egg to cool down slowly after cooking can also help reduce damping by preventing rapid changes in temperature and minimizing the egg's contraction.