Determining Damping Constant k From Data

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of k for a damped pendulum bob using data and comparing it to the theoretical value. A graph is suggested to be plotted to determine k. The y-axis represents amplitude and the x-axis represents turns. Theoretical k value is given as 0.22456, but there is confusion on how to find it from the graph. Suggestions are made to change the y-axis to ln(A_0/A) and the conversation ends with an apology for poor English.
Talz1994

Homework Statement

i had an investigation
use your data to find the value of k, compare this theoretical number with your data.
- plot a suitable graph so that you can determine k.

Homework Equations

A= A_0e^(-kn)
A_0 initial amplitude = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

hey I am new to the forum and yeh here my question. well i was given the homework getting a set of readings of a damped pendulum bob. i got the readings took an average and then i managed to plot a graph of those readings. i did so and i managed to get a graph which decreases exponentially. now i want to compare my therotical damping constant with my data and i have come stuck.
the y-axis is amplitude, "A" and the x-axis "n" turns

my k value theoretically is 0.22456, but i don't know how to find it from my graph.
should i change my y-axis to ln(A_0/A) that's how one of my friend did it but i don't get it.

sorry for poor english, its my second language, first time using forum. and i tried to follow the rules... :/

Physics news on Phys.org
anxiously waiting

What is damping constant k?

Damping constant k is a parameter used to describe the rate at which energy is dissipated in a system. It is typically represented by the symbol "k" and is measured in units of force per velocity or force per unit length.

Why is damping constant k important?

Damping constant k is important because it helps to quantify the amount of energy lost in a system due to damping. This information is crucial in determining the stability and behavior of a system.

How is damping constant k calculated?

Damping constant k can be calculated by analyzing data collected from experiments or simulations. It is typically determined by fitting a curve to the data and finding the slope of the curve, which represents the value of k.

What factors affect the value of damping constant k?

The value of damping constant k can be affected by various factors such as the material properties, geometry, and external forces acting on the system. Additionally, the type of damping present in the system (viscous, hysteretic, etc.) can also impact the value of k.

How can damping constant k be used in engineering and design?

Damping constant k is an important parameter in engineering and design, as it helps to optimize the performance and stability of systems. It can be used to determine the appropriate amount of damping needed in a system to prevent excessive vibrations and ensure safe and efficient operation.