1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damping Harmonic Motion

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass spring system has the following parameters: damping constant is 1.00 Ns/m spring constant is 1.00N/m and mass is 1.00 kg The mass is displaced from equilibrium and released. Through what minimum number of oscillations must the mass move in order to reduce the initial amplitude by a factor of 1000 or more?

2. Relevant equations
    x(t) = A e ^(-bt/2m) angular accel W = (k/m - b^2/4m^2)^(1/2) T = 2pi/w

3. The attempt at a solution

I computed w and got 0.86 I know that e ^(-bt/2m) is equal to or less than 1/1000 But this is where I get stuck. Some number times w needs to be less than 1/1000 the original amplitude but...I cannot see how to get there. I know from the solution sheet that the answer is two but can someone please show me how to get there??? Thanks, Frostking

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

frostking, I'm the retired high school teacher here to give a helping hand when I can. It looks like you've got an exponential that needs to be inverted into a log. When you have e^x = .001, you can take the natural log of both sides to get x = ln(.001). I hope that will be useful!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook