1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damping in an RLC circuit

1. Mar 24, 2006 #1
    Hello,

I've got to prepare for a practical session and need some help with a problem: how (by what experiments) can you prove that the damping of a series RLC circuit depends on the value of the resistance (without basing oneself on any knowledge of the damping factor [tex]\zeta=\frac{R}{2L}[/tex]).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think in terms of energy. What is the energy loss of a current, I, passing through a resistance, R?

AM

4. Mar 25, 2006 #3
    Thanks a lot for your answer!

The energy loss is [tex]\Delta E=Ri^2\Delta t[/tex], right? But is there another way (based more on experiments) to show that [tex]\zeta\propto R[/tex] ?

I forgot to mention, that we dispose of an oscilloscope. Would it be then correct to say that the damping depends on the resistance, because the difference between two peak values of the current (measured with the oscilloscope) depends on the resistance?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?