1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damping motion~

1. Feb 18, 2006 #1
    if the amplitude of a damped oscillation is decrease to 1/e after n periods, how can i show that the frequency is about [1-(8pi^2n^2)-1]times the frequency of undamped ocillations? can i assume that the oscillation is critical damping such that the term b/2m and k/m can be cancel in the expression of the damped frequency and natural freuency relation?

thanks for attention!!

yukyuk

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2006 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know the damping factor and the modified period in terms of the undamped period and the damping constant. You should probably start by evaluating the damping factor after n periods and setting it equal to 1/e.

4. Feb 19, 2006 #3
    To physics monkey,

Thanks for your help but i cannot understand what you mean? how can i write out the relation between the damped period and undamped~ quite confusing !!:frown: Also why I start by evaluating the damping factor after n periods and setting it equal to 1/e????

yuk

5. Feb 19, 2006 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?