Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dang it!

1. Aug 29, 2008 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I got in to work extra early today (woke up at 4 in the morning!), so that I could get out early and enjoy the upcoming three-day holiday weekend (Monday is Labor Day in the states). But nooooo...I just found out that I have to stay and supervise a temp who's here until 5:00.

The best-laid plans....

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2008 #2
    I have to work all weekend :grumpy:

4. Aug 29, 2008 #3
    Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Oh, and by the wayyyy. I'm also going to need you to come on on saturday. We lost the guy who grunts with change in his pocket and have to pick up some slack over the weekend.

Mmmkay? Thanks LISAB.... <walks away before Lisa can answer>

5. Aug 29, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ouch! Sorry...:frown:...makes my complaint trivial....

6. Aug 29, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: even though you can't hear it

7. Aug 29, 2008 #6
    Ouch, that sucks. Just yell at him a lot to get your anger out. That way at least you'll be ready for the weekend.

8. Aug 29, 2008 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

At least you get Labor Day off. At most colleges and universities, Labor Day is a normal class day (at least it is here), so we have to teach classes as usual.

9. Aug 29, 2008 #8
  10. Aug 29, 2008 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To tell you the truth, he kind of gives me the creeps. He doesn't make eye contact with me and has yet to say one word to me...but he seems to get along OK with the guys in the office.

When I talk to him he shoots his eyes from one corner of the room to the other...really FAST...:confused:

11. Aug 29, 2008 #10
    Perhaps he has a fever?

12. Aug 29, 2008 #11
    Probably trying to find his stapler..........

13. Aug 29, 2008 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well he doesn't have one when he talks to the guys in the lab...maybe I'm making him sick...!

14. Aug 29, 2008 #13
    Hmmm, weird. Have you considered asking why?

15. Aug 29, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Um, it's not at most. Every place I've worked has the day off. I preferred when I was at Rutgers and the classes didn't even start until after Labor Day though. Though, my students don't really believe they have the day off...they have exams next week for both our course and physiology. I told them to at least take tomorrow afternoon off when the football game is going on since trying to get anywhere near the building will be quite difficult anyway.

I had plans to leave early today too since I don't have any classes to teach on Fridays and a lot of people already left town yesterday for a long weekend. But, everyone else already leaving meant the students panicking about next week's exam had nobody else to find but me, so I was helping them out all afternoon. I don't want them spending all weekend studying the wrong things, so spent the afternoon helping them tag structures to study from.

16. Aug 29, 2008 #15

wolram

Gold Member

You should have put him in the broom cupboard with a ream of paper work and told him to go home when he had finished it.

17. Aug 29, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At least SOMEONE here is thinking like a supervisor! :rofl: :biggrin:

18. Aug 29, 2008 #17
    I'm waiting to see if my boss calls or shows up to ask me to work this weekend. Otherwise I'll be off the whole weekend but still have to work on Monday. I'll probably have to leave early on Monday to make sure to get there on time.

Maybe he's attracted to you. Or is simply shy around females.

19. Aug 30, 2008 #18
    Your boss isn't trying to avoid looking at you, he's just looking at the guys behind you. They're all making fun of you behind your back. I thought you knew.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?