Daniell cell = a primary cell?

• Thread starter SMD1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding the table of standard electrode potentials and the question of whether Daniell cells are rechargeable. It is noted that during discharge, zinc converts to zinc sulphate and copper sulfate to copper, but the process cannot be reversed due to the more positive reduction potential of sulfate in acidic solution. However, it is possible to reverse the process using an EMF greater than the cell's voltage.
SMD1990
I will admit that I still have a bit of trouble when it comes to reading the table of standard electrode potentials. (Though, I do think my understanding is improving.)

However, unless I am mistaken, should not Daniell cells (zinc anode, copper cathode, sulfate solutions) not rechargeable?

I mean, during discharge, the zinc could be thought of as converting to zinc sulphate, and the copper sulfate to copper.

Now, to reverse the process...

Clearly, the problem is not the zinc. Zinc sulphate can be used to electroplate zinc onto a cathode.

Since copper appears above oxygen on the table of standard electrode potentials, should it not be what is oxidized at the anode?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
As I understand it, the Daniell cell when using copper (II) and zinc (II) sulfate solutions are reversible if you apply an EMF greater than the voltage of the cell (EMF > 1.1 V). However, if the Daniell cell is made as the original cell (Zn electrode in sulfuric acid & CuSO4 solution on a copper pot), the reaction is not reversible, because the reduction of sulfate in acidic solution

SO42-(aq) + 4 H+(aq) + 2 e- -----> SO2(g) + 2 H2O

has a more positive reduction potential (E0 = +0.20) than the reduction of Zn2+ (E0 = -0.76), and it will take precedence. So instead of depositing Zn, you will be seeing bubbles of SO2 coming out of the acidic Zn2+ solution.

1. What is a Daniell cell?

A Daniell cell is a type of primary cell, also known as a voltaic cell, that was invented by chemist John Frederic Daniell in 1836. It is a simple electrochemical device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy.

2. How does a Daniell cell work?

A Daniell cell consists of two half-cells: a copper electrode immersed in a copper sulfate solution and a zinc electrode immersed in a zinc sulfate solution. When the two half-cells are connected by a wire, electrons flow from the zinc electrode to the copper electrode, generating an electric current. This occurs through a series of chemical reactions involving the transfer of ions between the two solutions.

3. What is the purpose of a salt bridge in a Daniell cell?

A salt bridge is a U-shaped tube filled with an electrolyte solution, such as potassium chloride, that connects the two half-cells of a Daniell cell. It allows the flow of ions between the two solutions, completing the circuit and maintaining electrical neutrality in each half-cell.

4. What are the advantages of using a Daniell cell?

Daniell cells have a number of advantages, such as being low cost, easy to construct, and having a high energy density. They also have a long shelf life and can provide a steady source of electricity for extended periods of time without needing to be recharged.

5. What are some common applications of Daniell cells?

Daniell cells have been used in a variety of applications, including early electric telegraph systems, early electric lighting, and as a power source for scientific experiments. Today, they are mostly used in education and research settings to demonstrate the principles of electrochemistry.