Daofind Parameters in IRAF

• Thread starter MattRob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parameters
In summary, to create coordinates for only the single brightest object in the search area using daofind, you need to set the parameters FWHM, Threshold, Sharpness, Roundness, Roundlo/Roundhi, MinArea/MaxArea, Nbrightest, and Nstar according to your requirements.
MattRob
So, I've recently just began some undergraduate research, and a task I'm working on is developing some simple scripts for IRAF that might be rather useful. I'm new to the whole thing, but my professor has mentioned that daofind can run in a such a way that it only creates coordinates for the single brightest star in the search area.

So, simple question: how do I set the parameters for daofind to only create coordinates for the single brightest object in the search area?

I'll do some more of my own reading and exploration on this as I go along, but this particular question needs resolution somewhat more quickly, and since I'm nervous as heck about making a great impression on my first undergraduate research assignment, I'm admittedly shying out a bit from bothering her about it quite yet; I'd rather at least drop this query first.

Thanks in advance.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The parameters that you need to set for daofind to only create coordinates for the single brightest object in the search area are:-FWHM (full-width half-maximum): this sets the size of the aperture used to detect objects on the image.-Threshold: this sets the brightness level of the object which is detected by the program.-Sharpness: this parameter defines the sharpness of the object in order to differentiate from other objects or background noise.-Roundness: this parameter defines the roundness of the object in order to differentiate from other objects or background noise.-Roundlo/Roundhi: these parameters define the minimum and maximum roundness of the object in order to differentiate from other objects or background noise.-MinArea/MaxArea: these parameters define the minimum and maximum area of the object in order to differentiate from other objects or background noise.-Nbrightest/Nstar: these parameters define the number of brightest stars to be detected and the total number of stars to be detected. By setting the Nbrightest parameter to 1 and the other parameters to your requirements, you should be able to get the coordinates for the single brightest object in the search area.

1. What is Daofind in IRAF?

Daofind is a task in IRAF (Image Reduction and Analysis Facility) used for detecting and measuring point sources in astronomical images.

2. What are the parameters needed for Daofind?

The parameters needed for Daofind include the image name, output file name, detection threshold, FWHM (full width at half maximum) of the point sources, and the radius for local background estimation.

3. How do I determine the appropriate parameters for Daofind?

The appropriate parameters for Daofind can be determined by visually inspecting the image and adjusting the detection threshold, FWHM, and background radius until the desired point sources are identified.

4. Can Daofind be used for images with varying backgrounds?

Yes, Daofind has the capability to estimate and subtract the local background for images with varying backgrounds.

5. What is the output of Daofind?

The output of Daofind is a table containing the x and y coordinates, magnitudes, and other measurements for the identified point sources in the image.