What is the pressure at the tap due to Darcy losses?

• Thread starter physea
  • Start date
In summary: Then I see no reason for that term. The total energy has the same ½ρv2 at beginning and end, so the two cancel.
physea

Homework Statement

There is a tap that supplies water to a L=21m hose. There are friction losses in the hose due to friction (Darcy losses).
f = 0.0138
ρ = 1000 kg/m3
diameter d= 0.025m
water velocity V=2.54m/s
What is the pressure at the tap?

Homework Equations

Darcy losses: h= 4fLV^2/d2g

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution says that the pressure energy in the tap will have to maintain a flow of 2.54m/s and overcome the Darcy losses.
Darcy pressure losses are h=4fLV^2/d2g, and since P=ρgh, we get P(darcy)=4fLgV^2/2d
As a result P(tap)=V^2/2g + 4fLgV^2/2d = 486Pa
But it doesn't seem correct, any idea?

Apparently, the correct solutions says P=ρgh(darcy)

Physics news on Phys.org
physea said:
But it doesn't seem correct
No, indeed. Just checking the dimensions might help ...

And: you sure about the factor 4 (always confusing: Darcy/Fanning) ?
(never mind - from the value of Re and f, I think you're right.

Last edited:
physea said:
=V^2/2g +
How do you justify that term?

haruspex said:
How do you justify that term?

Basically from energy conservation.
If no Darcy losses were available, it would be PV=1/2*m*U^2, which divided by m, makes P=rho*U^2/2, which since P=rho*g*h, it becomes h=U^2/2g
To this, I add the Darcy head loss.

Is this approach correct?

We are talking about friction losses in a pipe -- not your everyday example of a process where energy conservation can be used in the calculations.

A few more issues:
physea said:
Apparently, the correct solutions says P=ρgh(darcy)
At the tap :rolleyes: ?

It's not ##p = \rho g h ## but ##\Delta p =\rho g \Delta h## where in this case the friction loss is/can be converted to head loss ##\Delta h##. Confusing but possible.

They ask for the pressure at the tap. That is pressure at the exit + pressure loss due to friction (plus a possible hydrostatic head, but you may assume the pipe is horzontal.)

physea said:
h=U^2/2g
Yeah, that's what you get if you spout vertically. We're in a different scenario here !

physea said:
Basically from energy conservation.
And that term represents a change in KE? Is there a change in KE?

Likes Chestermiller
haruspex said:
And that term represents a change in KE? Is there a change in KE?

No, volumetric water flow is stable.
I assume that the pressure at the end of the hose is zero... well atmospheric

physea said:
No, volumetric water flow is stable.
I assume that the pressure at the end of the hose is zero... well atmospheric
Then I see no reason for that term. The total energy has the same ½ρv2 at beginning and end, so the two cancel.

What is the Darcy losses problem?

The Darcy losses problem is a common issue encountered in fluid dynamics, specifically in the study of fluid flow through pipes. It refers to the loss of energy or pressure that occurs as a fluid flows through a pipe due to various factors such as friction, turbulence, and changes in direction.

What causes Darcy losses?

Darcy losses can be caused by various factors including the roughness of the pipe surface, changes in pipe diameter, bends or curves in the pipe, and obstructions in the flow such as valves or fittings. These factors contribute to the loss of energy and pressure in the fluid as it flows through the pipe.

How is Darcy losses calculated?

Darcy losses are typically calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the various factors mentioned above. This equation allows for the determination of the head loss, or the difference in energy between two points in the pipe, due to frictional losses.

What are some methods for reducing Darcy losses?

There are several methods for reducing Darcy losses, including using smoother pipes to decrease friction, minimizing changes in pipe diameter, and avoiding excessive bends or curves in the pipe. Other methods include using flow control devices such as valves and fittings that are designed to minimize energy losses.

How does the Darcy losses problem impact fluid flow?

The Darcy losses problem can significantly impact fluid flow, as it results in a decrease in pressure and energy within the fluid. This can lead to a decrease in flow rate and can also affect the efficiency of the system. Therefore, it is essential to consider and address Darcy losses when designing and analyzing fluid flow systems.