How High Does the Daredevil Reach?

• Thread starter Aznhmonglor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, a daredevil on a motorcycle reaches the peak of a ramp with a speed of 39.1 m/s. To determine the maximum height he reaches, the velocity at the peak is equated with the horizontal component of the velocity of projection, which gives an angle of projection of 17.5 degrees. Next, the vertical component of the velocity of projection is calculated using the new angle, and the maximum height is determined by treating the problem as if someone had thrown a ball at that speed straight up. The resulting maximum height would be the same as the daredevil's.
Aznhmonglor
A daredevil on a motorcycle leaves the end of a ramp with a speed of 41.0 m/s as in the figure below. If his speed is 39.1 m/s when he reaches the peak of the path, what is the maximum height that he reaches? Ignore friction and air resistance.

Help would be appreciated, not sure how to start this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
At the peak of the path, the velocity is horizontal. It is given. Equate this with horizontal component of the velocity of projection. That gives you the angle of projection.
Can you proceed further?

Does that mean I get this.

39.1=41cos(theta)

Solve for theta and I get the angle to be 17.5.

What do I do next? Do I do the vertical component of velocity of projection with the new angle?

Last edited:
Aznhmonglor said:
Does that mean I get this.

39.1=41cos(theta)

Solve for theta and I get the angle to be 17.5.

What do I do next? Do I do the vertical component of velocity of projection with the new angle?

What is the vertical component of velocity then?

Figure the problem now like you had someone throw a ball at that speed straight up. What would the max height be in that case? (The answer is the same for your problem.)

1. What is the "Daredevil Height Problem"?

The "Daredevil Height Problem" refers to a theoretical physics puzzle that questions the accuracy of the height of the superhero, Daredevil, as portrayed in various comic books and movies.

2. Why is it called the "Daredevil Height Problem"?

The problem is named after the superhero Daredevil, who is known for his impressive acrobatic and fighting abilities despite being blind. The problem questions whether his height would realistically allow him to perform such feats.

3. Is the "Daredevil Height Problem" a real scientific question?

Yes, the "Daredevil Height Problem" has been studied and debated by physicists and mathematicians as a way to apply real-world physics principles to fictional characters.

4. What are some proposed explanations for the "Daredevil Height Problem"?

Some proposed explanations include the possibility that Daredevil's enhanced senses and training allow him to compensate for his height, or that he has a rare medical condition that gives him extraordinary agility and strength.

5. Has the "Daredevil Height Problem" been solved?

No, the problem is still a topic of debate and has not been definitively solved. It remains a fun and interesting thought experiment for fans of both physics and superhero fiction.