Daredevil jumps a canyon

• Thread starter Dan66Stang
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a daredevil jumping his motorcycle across a canyon and the calculations needed to determine the initial and final speeds, as well as the required surface angle for a smooth landing. The suggested approach is to break the motion down into horizontal and vertical components and use the equation x = x0 + vt + at^2. However, this method may not work for the horizontal direction due to the lack of acceleration.
Dan66Stang
Hey guys/girls, I would appreciate some help on a problem that I am having trouble with.

A daredevil jumps his motorcycle across a canyon. If his acceleration is 9.81 m/s^2 downward, determine:

a) the initial speed Vo required to complete the jump.
b) the final speed Vf.
c) The surface angle theta required at the end of the jump to ensure a smooth landing.

Okay here's some info about the jump.

Initial height = Ho = 70m
Final height = Hf = 35m
The canyon is 100m wide

Help would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
what i would do is use x = x0 +vt + at^2 and plug in the appropriate numbers for both the x and y coordinates. and then for the angle you just plug in the x and y speeds for tangent and take that angle.

Well, here are some hints. I would break this down into components. Find the motion in a horizontal motion then vertical, and then combine your vectors.

fizzzzzzzzzzzy said:
what i would do is use x = x0 +vt + at^2 and plug in the appropriate numbers for both the x and y coordinates. and then for the angle you just plug in the x and y speeds for tangent and take that angle.

This will not work for the x direction, since there is no acceleration in that direction when he is in the air.

1. How did Daredevil jump the canyon?

Daredevil used a specially designed vehicle with a powerful engine and aerodynamic features to make the jump.

2. Did Daredevil use any safety measures during the jump?

Yes, Daredevil wore a custom-made safety suit and helmet, and the vehicle was equipped with safety features such as a roll cage and parachutes.

3. How far was the canyon jump?

The exact distance varies depending on the specific jump, but it is usually between 100-200 feet.

4. Has anyone else attempted a similar stunt?

Yes, there have been numerous daredevils who have attempted to jump a canyon, but not all of them were successful.

5. What are the risks associated with a canyon jump?

The risks include serious injuries or even death due to the high speed and potential for the vehicle to crash or malfunction during the jump.