1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Daredevil jumps a canyon

1. Feb 17, 2007 #1
    Hey guys/girls, I would appreciate some help on a problem that I am having trouble with.

A daredevil jumps his motorcycle across a canyon. If his acceleration is 9.81 m/s^2 downward, determine:

a) the initial speed Vo required to complete the jump.
    b) the final speed Vf.
    c) The surface angle theta required at the end of the jump to ensure a smooth landing.

Okay heres some info about the jump.

Initial height = Ho = 70m
    Final height = Hf = 35m
    The canyon is 100m wide

Help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2007 #2
    what i would do is use x = x0 +vt + at^2 and plug in the appropriate numbers for both the x and y coordinates. and then for the angle you just plug in the x and y speeds for tangent and take that angle.

4. Feb 17, 2007 #3
    Well, here are some hints. I would break this down into components. Find the motion in a horizontal motion then vertical, and then combine your vectors.

5. Feb 17, 2007 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

This will not work for the x direction, since there is no acceleration in that direction when he is in the air.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?