Dark energy and expansion of space

In summary, the universe is expanding since the Big Bang, which also means that space is expanding. However, dark energy remains constant and does not get diluted as the universe expands. This means that dark energy is continuously being created as bound systems get farther apart from each other. There is no experimental evidence to suggest that dark energy density is not constant in time, and it is taken as an empirically-based fact. Additionally, the concept of "space expanding" is not entirely accurate and can be better understood by looking into the concept of metric expansion.
kodama
universe is expanding since the bigbang so therefore space is expanding, but apparently dark energy remains constant, it apparently isn't getting diluted as the universe expands

is energy being created, specifically the energy in vacuum?

Physics news on Phys.org
kodama said:
universe is expanding since the bigbang so therefore space is expanding, but apparently dark energy remains constant, it apparently isn't getting diluted as the universe expands

is energy being created, specifically the energy in vacuum?
"Space is expanding" is not correct. Google "metric expansion" for a discussion.

Yes, dark energy is being created as bound systems get farther apart from each other. The density of dark energy remains the same.

phinds said:
Yes, dark energy is being created as bound systems get farther apart from each other. The density of dark energy remains the same.

Hm, do you know of any experimental evidence that dark energy density is constant in time, or is this just an assumption? Specifically, do you have any reason to believe that the average dark energy density is not inversely proportional to the "total volume"; i.e. that the "total dark energy content" is not constant after all?

Last edited:
no-ir said:
Hm, do you know of any experimental evidence that dark energy density is constant in time, or is this just an assumption? Specifically, do you have any reason to believe that the average dark energy density is not inversely proportional to the "total volume"; i.e. that the "total dark energy content" is not constant after all?
My references are all just other posts (by knowledgeable people) here on this forum. It is not an assumption, it is taken as empirically-based fact but I can't point you to a study saying so. I don't mean to imply that there aren't any, just that I don't have a citation for you.

phinds said:
"Space is expanding" is not correct.
What do you mean by this? Isn't spacetime defined by a manifold with a metric on it? :)

haushofer said:
What do you mean by this? Isn't spacetime defined by a manifold with a metric on it? :)
Google "metric expansion"

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is thought to make up about 70% of the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

2. How does dark energy cause the expansion of space?

Dark energy is thought to have a negative pressure, which causes it to push against the force of gravity and accelerate the expansion of space. This expansion is occurring at a faster rate over time.

3. How is dark energy different from dark matter?

Dark energy and dark matter are two separate and distinct entities. Dark matter is a type of matter that does not emit or interact with light, but has a gravitational pull on other matter. Dark energy, on the other hand, is a form of energy that is believed to be causing the expansion of the universe.

4. What evidence do we have for the existence of dark energy?

The existence of dark energy is supported by several lines of evidence, including observations of the accelerating expansion of the universe, the large-scale structure of the universe, and the cosmic microwave background radiation.

5. Can we harness or use dark energy?

Currently, we do not have the technology or understanding to harness or use dark energy. However, continued research and understanding of dark energy could potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in the future.