Dark energy and oscillating universe?

In summary, two spherical regions of space, each with a radius of one metre, would contain about 10^-27 kg of dark energy. Assuming that the centres of these regions are one metre apart and that there is rest mass associated with dark energy, using the equation F = Gm1m2/r^2 would result in a force of attraction of 10^-65 Newtons between the spheres. If the spheres obeyed Hooke's law and there was no distance between them at equilibrium, the frequency of oscillation of the universe between a big bang and a big crunch would be 10^-19 seconds. However, this calculation may not be valid and it is experimentally difficult to verify, as it would take over 300
kurious
If I take two spherical regions of space about one metre in radius,
they would contain about 10 ^ - 27 kg of dark energy each.
If I now say that the centres of these regions are one metre apart,
and assume that there is rest mass associated with dark energy (this rest mass being uniformly distributed in each of the spherical regions),
then using Force = G m1 m2 / r^ 2 I would get a force of attraction
for the spheres of 10^ -11 x 10^ -27 x 10^ - 27 / 1 x1 = 10^ -65 Newtons.

If these two spherical regions obeyed Hooke's law F = - constant x extension
then 10^ - 65 = k x 1 (I am assuming that earlier in the universe when it was smaller the centres of the spheres converged and at equilibrium there was no distance between them)
k = 10^ -65
Let's postulate that the universe oscillates regularly between a big bang and a big crunch.

The frequency of a harmonic oscillator is given by:

w = ( k/m)^1/2

w = ( 10^ -65 / 10^ -27) ^ 1/2

w = 10^ -19 s^-1.

So the universe would oscillate once every 10^ 19 seconds.
Is my calculation a valid calculation?

Space news on Phys.org
Experimentally, it will take over 300 billions years to verify your calculation.

kurious said:
If I take two spherical regions of space about one metre in radius,
they would contain about 10 ^ - 27 kg of dark energy each.
If I now say that the centres of these regions are one metre apart,
and assume that there is rest mass associated with dark energy (this rest mass being uniformly distributed in each of the spherical regions),
then using Force = G m1 m2 / r^ 2 I would get a force of attraction
for the spheres of 10^ -11 x 10^ -27 x 10^ - 27 / 1 x1 = 10^ -65 Newtons.

If these two spherical regions obeyed Hooke's law F = - constant x extension
then 10^ - 65 = k x 1 (I am assuming that earlier in the universe when it was smaller the centres of the spheres converged and at equilibrium there was no distance between them)
k = 10^ -65
Let's postulate that the universe oscillates regularly between a big bang and a big crunch.

The frequency of a harmonic oscillator is given by:

w = ( k/m)^1/2

w = ( 10^ -65 / 10^ -27) ^ 1/2

w = 10^ -19 s^-1.

So the universe would oscillate once every 10^ 19 seconds.
Is my calculation a valid calculation?

I don't kow about your calculations but your Big Crunch physics has a problem. Using Hubble logic the stellar matter is supposed to reverse direction and head back to the center of it all, compress as pre-Big Bang and let 'er rip once more, right?

It can't happen anything like that. Even if there was a total reversal of expanding stellar matter in straight lines back to the center point, there will come a time when gravity effects start pulling the stellar matter together at huge velocities that would impart large deviations from the straight line trajectories. Slingshots like you've never seen! Nothing would crunch, it would just redistribute in the universe.
I'd rather watch Mayberry reruns.

geistkiesel is right!

geistkiesel said:
I don't kow about your calculations but your Big Crunch physics has a problem. Using Hubble logic the stellar matter is supposed to reverse direction and head back to the center of it all, compress as pre-Big Bang and let 'er rip once more, right?

It can't happen anything like that. Even if there was a total reversal of expanding stellar matter in straight lines back to the center point, there will come a time when gravity effects start pulling the stellar matter together at huge velocities that would impart large deviations from the straight line trajectories. Slingshots like you've never seen! Nothing would crunch, it would just redistribute in the universe.
I'd rather watch Mayberry reruns.

I agree with everything you said. At the end of cosmic expansion, there will be no stellar mass around to reverse direction. At that stage, there will only be dark matter and dark energy. The dark matter will contract and eventually begin sucking up all of that dark energy like a big sponge until DM and DE are reunited as one. Then and only then will the cycle be complete and ripe for the next BB.

I think I'll go watch Andy now.

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is responsible for the observed accelerated expansion of the universe and is thought to be present in the empty space between galaxies.

2. How is dark energy different from dark matter?

Dark matter is a different theoretical form of matter that is believed to make up about 25% of the total energy in the universe. Unlike dark energy, dark matter is thought to interact with gravity and can be detected through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

3. How do we know that dark energy exists?

Dark energy was first proposed as an explanation for the accelerated expansion of the universe, which was confirmed by observations of distant supernovae in the late 1990s. Since then, multiple independent observations, such as the cosmic microwave background and large-scale structure of the universe, have provided further evidence for the existence of dark energy.

4. What is an oscillating universe?

An oscillating universe is a theoretical model in which the universe undergoes cycles of expansion and contraction. This idea was proposed as an alternative to the Big Bang theory, but it is not supported by current observations and is not widely accepted by the scientific community.

5. Can dark energy be harnessed for practical use?

No, dark energy is a purely theoretical concept and has not been observed or harnessed for any practical use. Its effects are only seen on a cosmic scale and it is not something that can be manipulated or utilized by humans.