Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dark energy = dark matter*speed of light squared?

1. Mar 12, 2005 #1
    Or in other words, is dark energy the energy of dark matter? and vive versa.

Please give reasons to your answers.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2005 #2
    I just realisez that the formula uses mass, not matter.

so, could it be, dark mass?= the mass of dark matter or the mass of anti-matter?

and could it be dark energy= dark mass*speed of light squared.

by the way,

does anti-energy exist?

ifso, could it be

anti-energy=anti-mass*speed of light squared?

4. Mar 12, 2005 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0304183

This question is more appropriate to be asked in the Astronomy/Cosmology section.

Zz.

5. Mar 12, 2005 #4
    Not at all... You are misusing E=mc². dark energy and dark matter are totally different in nature. Dark matter is responsible for holding galaxies together while dark energy is really the "negative pressure" that results in the accelerated expanding universe...

marlon

6. Mar 12, 2005 #5
    so dark energy is really negative energy?

then, dark energy= negative mass*speed of light sqaured???

7. Mar 12, 2005 #6
  8. Mar 13, 2005 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I'm a bit uncomfortable with that marlon, though I understand - I'm worried about how the negative energy concept might be abused.

9. Mar 14, 2005 #8
    GUILLE: Have you heard about this?:

:surprised

10. Mar 14, 2005 #9

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why are people so gullible?

11. Mar 14, 2005 #10
    that second last paragraph is gold!

12. Mar 15, 2005 #11

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

That was revelatory, I have a design based on that concept. I only need a crane to lift the thing. I'm an engineer and know about such things. Think of it as a reverse cowpie... instead of falling to the ground, it gravitates back to the source

13. Mar 15, 2005 #12
    I am not really sure i know what you mean, Chronos. Could you elaborate, please

regards
    marlon

14. Mar 15, 2005 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Even NASA has funded research into this, through the Breakthrough Propulsion program. The problem that the NASA folks ignored is that we can only exploit energy differentials. Even if the energy of the quantum vacuum is huge, it is the ground state of our universe and it cannot be exploited without access to a state of either higher or lower energy. Apparently somebody in India (like here in the US) has managed to convince the men with the money that it is possible to exploit vacuum energy (possibly by constructing a device that physically excludes some frequencies of the ZPE field, like a Casimir device does).

As a side note, Andrei Sakharov believed that it was possible to tap into the energy of the ZPE field, and he petitioned the USSR government to ban such experimentation, for fear of starting a chain-reaction that could destabilize space time and destroy the universe. It sounds silly, but he was dead serious.

15. Mar 16, 2005 #14

T10

LOL, I just had to reply to this. A Doom's Day device :surprised This world seriously lacks evil scientists bent on world domination .. and stuff.

Yeah I read a lot of comic books as a kid :tongue2:

16. Mar 16, 2005 #15

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Dark energy can be regarded as negative energy in the sense it behaves like repulsive gravity. I just squirm a little at the term because it is bait for things like 'If there is negative energy there must also be negative mass, hence FTL drives are possible'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?