How Does the Integral's Limit Affect the Dark Energy Density Equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for dark energy density, which is derived from the dark energy continuity equation. The speaker is confused about the different versions of the equation in different sources, with varying limits and signs. They are particularly concerned about the sign in front, which determines whether the energy density grows or shrinks over time. Ultimately, it is determined that there is a sign error in the equation in the paper, and a missing exponent of 1/2.
TimeFall
Hello! This is my first post, so go easy on me! I'm working through Scott Dodelson's book Modern Cosmology http://books.google.com/books?id=3oPRxdXJexcC&pg=PA23&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false and I am a bit confused about equation 2.85:
$$\rho_{DE} \propto e^{-3 \int^a \frac{da'}{a'} [ 1+ w(a')]}$$

where ##\rho## is the energy density for dark energy, a is the scale factor, and w is the equation of state parameter defined as ##w = \frac{P}{\rho}##.

My problem is that when I derive this equation from the dark energy continuity equation (which is eq. 2.55 in Dodelson, and I am able to derive with no problems):
$$\dot{\rho} + 3H\rho(1+w(a)) = 0$$

I get:
$$\rho_{DE} \propto e^{-3 \int_{1}^{a} \frac{[1+w(a')]da'}{a'}}$$

Which I'm assuming is what Dodelson's is (he doesn't have a lower limit on his integral, thus implying it is an integral over all a). However, this paper : http://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/pdf/2004/12/aah4738.pdf
in equation 7, has the limits flipped, but still has the negative sign on the 3. I'm inclined to believe both, since one is a textbook and the other is a peer-reviewed paper, but they cannot both be correct. I cannot, for the life of me, derive the version in the paper, but I have been able to get Dodelson's version (where the limits go from 1 to a). I just wanted to see if I was doing something stupid in deriving this equation, or if I am, in fact, correct.

I've also looked through several other books and papers, but they all seem to give it as a function of redshift:
$$\rho_{DE} \propto e^{3 \int_{0}^{z} \frac{[1 + w(z)]dz}{1 + z}}$$
Which I am also able to get from the continuity equation by just changing variables from a to z using:
##a = \frac{1}{1 + z}##.

If you change variables from z to a in equation 2.85, you get exactly what I got. The trouble is that I need this equation as a function of a because I need to put it into a larger code that already uses a instead of z.
Thank you very much for any help, and sorry for the ramble!

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Sounds like the main concern here is a sign error. The difference in sign out front will determine whether the energy density grows or shrinks over time for different values of w(a). So one easy to resolve this and make certain you have the sign in front correct would be to set w(a) = -2 and verify that the energy density of dark energy is lower in the past, and set w(a) = 0 and verify that it scales as 1/a^3 (as normal matter).

Yesterday, I used (2) to try and derive (7), and I seemed to find a sign mistake in (7). I just used Chalnoth's suggestion of setting ##w=0##, and, again, this indicates a sign mistake in (7).

Note also another mistake in (7), i.e., the missing exponent of 1/2.

George Jones said:
Yesterday, I used (2) to try and derive (7), and I seemed to find a sign mistake in (7). I just used Chalnoth's suggestion of setting ##w=0##, and, again, this indicates a sign mistake in (7).

Note also another mistake in (7), i.e., the missing exponent of 1/2.
What missing exponent of 1/2?

(7) should end with ##]^{1/2}##, as (6) does; either that, or both H and H_0 should be squared.

George Jones said:
(7) should end with ##]^{1/2}##, as (6) does; either that, or both H and H_0 should be squared.
Oh, I see what you're saying. I was going by what you wrote here on PF, not the text of the paper. Yes, that is a clear typo in the paper.

Thank you!

What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is believed to make up about 70% of the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the ongoing expansion of the universe.

What is the Hubble equation?

The Hubble equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the distance of a galaxy and its velocity. It is used to determine the expansion rate of the universe and the role of dark energy in this expansion.

How does dark energy affect the Hubble equation?

Dark energy is believed to be a constant force that acts against gravity and causes the universe to expand at an accelerating rate. This means that as the universe expands, the distance between galaxies increases, causing the Hubble constant to increase as well.

How was dark energy discovered?

The existence of dark energy was first theorized in 1998 by a team of astronomers who were studying the brightness of distant supernovae. They found that the expansion of the universe was accelerating, which could not be explained by known forces, leading to the discovery of dark energy.

What are current theories about dark energy?

There are several theories about the nature of dark energy, including the cosmological constant theory, which suggests that dark energy is a constant force throughout the universe, and the quintessence theory, which proposes that dark energy is a dynamic field that can change over time.