Can Early Dark Energy Affect Standard Rulers in Cosmology?

In summary, the paper "Shifting the Universe: Early Dark Energy and Standard Rulers" by Eric V. Linder and Georg Robbers discusses the influence of dark energy on the cosmic sound horizon and the distance to last scattering of the cosmic microwave background. They demonstrate how early dark energy can be hidden in the CMB temperature and polarization spectra, leading to a bias in the sound horizon when used as a standard ruler. By fitting for the absolute ruler scale, the bias can be removed but at the cost of decreasing the leverage of the baryon acoustic oscillation technique. The paper was submitted two days ago and focuses on using cosmology as a testing ground for physics.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Has anyone read this paper?

Shifting the Universe: Early Dark Energy and Standard Rulers
Authors: Eric V. Linder, Georg Robbers
Comments: 6 pages, 3 figures
Subjects: Astrophysics (astro-ph)

The presence of dark energy at high redshift influences both the cosmic sound horizon and the distance to last scattering of the cosmic microwave background. We demonstrate that through the degeneracy in their ratio, early dark energy can lie hidden in the CMB temperature and polarization spectra, leading to an unrecognized shift in the sound horizon. If the sound horizon is then used as a standard ruler, as in baryon acoustic oscillations, then the derived cosmological parameters can be nontrivially biased. Fitting for the absolute ruler scale (just as supernovae must be fit for the absolute candle magnitude) removes the bias but decreases the leverage of the BAO technique by a factor 2.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Link: http://arxiv.org/abs/0803.2877

Submitted two days ago. I did a quick read. My interest in cosmology is fairly limited. What I have learned is geared more as a testing ground for physics. One of the reasons I insist on separating the model from the empirical content. I see nothing really surprising in that paper though.

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to make up about 70% of the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe and is still not fully understood by scientists.

2. How is dark energy related to standard rulers?

Standard rulers are objects or phenomena that have a known physical size, such as galaxies or the cosmic microwave background radiation. By measuring the apparent size of these standard rulers, scientists can study the effects of dark energy on the expansion of the universe.

3. What evidence do we have for the existence of dark energy?

The main evidence for dark energy comes from observations of distant supernovae, which showed that the expansion of the universe is accelerating. Other evidence includes measurements of the cosmic microwave background and galaxy clustering.

4. How does dark energy affect the universe?

Dark energy is thought to be the dominant force driving the expansion of the universe. It counteracts the gravitational pull of matter, causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate. This will eventually lead to the universe expanding at an ever-increasing rate and potentially result in a "Big Rip" scenario where all matter is torn apart.

5. Can we harness dark energy for practical use?

At this time, there is no known way to harness dark energy for practical use. Its effects are only observed on a cosmic scale and we do not have the technology or understanding to manipulate it. However, ongoing research and study of dark energy may someday lead to potential applications or technologies.