1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dark Fringe Ratios Question

1. Oct 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two different single slits are used in an experiment involving one source of monochromatic light. With slit 1 in place, the first dark fringe is observed at an angle of 45 degrees. With slit 2, the first dark fringe is observed at an angle of 55 degrees.

a) Which slit is widest? Why?
    b) What is the ratio of the largest slit to the smallest?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) Slit 1 would have the larger width length because once an angle increases the intensity of the maxima decreases. Since slit 1 has a smaller angle, it therefore has a larger width.

b) I'm onestly not sure how to get the ratio, simply because of the lack of information.. I'm not sure if i have to estimate the question or there's an actual full calculation. If anyone has suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

4. Oct 3, 2009 #3
    but im still lacking information though. I dont have wavelength or anything.

5. Oct 3, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Just go ahead and try! You likely won't be able to find the slit width, but you may well get something like the ratio of slit width to wavelength for slit 1 and the same for slit 2. Then taking the ratio of them, the wavelength would cancel out and you'll have your answer.

6. Oct 3, 2009 #5
    ohhhh i get it. so basically im just setting them to eachother. Well what i did was i had wavelength 1/wavelength 2 = dsinO1/dsinO2, then i cancelled the wavelengths and got d2/d1 = sin02/sin01. Then i plugged the numbers in and got 0.81:0.71. Not sure if thats correct though.

7. Oct 3, 2009 #6

Delphi51

Homework Helper

According to the Wikipedia article, the single slit formula is
    d*sin(A) = n*lambda
    so you have d1*sin(45) = lambda
    and d2*sin(55) = lambda
    to work with. I think you have something upside down in your equation.

8. Oct 4, 2009 #7
    but don't you have to set them equal eachother, as in dividing them from one another? like d1/d2 = sin(45)/sin(55) ?

9. Oct 4, 2009 #8
    if i do all of the steps i get 0.41:0.71

10. Oct 4, 2009 #9

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Surely it is d1/d2 = sin(55)/sin(45).

11. Oct 4, 2009 #10
    i get the same answer as my original attempt if i do it that way

12. Oct 4, 2009 #11

Delphi51

Homework Helper

d1/d2 = sin(55)/sin(45) = 1.16 would be the final answer for (b).

13. Oct 5, 2009 #12
    yeah but thats not a ratio though... im supposed to find the ratio not a final answer right

14. Oct 5, 2009 #13

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Yes, it is the ratio of d1 to d2, the slit width in case 1 to the slit width in case 2.

15. Oct 5, 2009 #14
    so its 1.16 between the 2 slits?

16. Oct 5, 2009 #15

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Well, that's what I got. But you need to work it out yourself. I'm notorious for making mistakes in the arithmetic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook