Can Dark Matter and Dark Energy Be Used to Explain Superhero Powers?

In summary: However, dark energy is the dominant force in the universe and its effects are still not fully understood.In summary, a high school student is running a superhero game and wants to limit comic book physics. They are curious about dark matter and dark energy and how they work, as they want to incorporate them into their storyline. However, dark matter does not interact with regular matter except through gravity and dark energy is still not fully understood. Despite this, the student has been advised to go with their idea as long as the storyline is strong.
Benicus
So I'm running a superhero game on another forum and I am trying to keep comic book physics to a minimum. Problem is...I've never taken a physics class (I'm a high school student, I've taken Biology and Chem but Physics is next year).

I was wondering how dark matter and dark energy work and what they are and was wondering if anyone here is kind enough to give a really simple version of what they are. I read the wikipedia article but it kind of didn't make much sense...

The reason why I'm wondering is because I want to make the superhero's powers originate from a dark matter explosion passing through Earth causing latent mutations to develop. Is this too comic-book sciencey or could I work with it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'd go with it Mate, if the storyline is good enough it'll stand up, Hollywood used whatever scientific tosh came up in the middle of the last century and the good ones still are enjoyable today no matter how far fetched:smile:

It certainly bears little resemblance to any scientific conception of dark matter. What makes dark matter dark is that it pretty much doesn't interact (other than through gravity) with any normal matter, including that that people are made of.

If dark matter is a form of matter that doesn't cause the curvature of space-time,then in what sense is it ever capable of causing an interplay with gravity?

Dark matter does cause curvature of spacetime, as does anything else that has mass or any other kind of energy.

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light and cannot be seen by telescopes. It is believed to make up about 27% of the universe's total mass and is essential in explaining the rotation of galaxies and the structure of the universe.

2. How is dark matter different from normal matter?

Dark matter differs from normal matter in that it does not interact with light and is not made up of atoms. It does not emit, absorb, or reflect light, which makes it invisible to telescopes. Normal matter, on the other hand, can be seen and interacts with light.

3. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is believed to make up about 68% of the total energy in the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe and is different from dark matter.

4. How do scientists study dark matter and dark energy?

Scientists study dark matter and dark energy through various methods, including observing the effects they have on visible matter and using mathematical models to understand their behavior. They also use instruments such as telescopes and particle accelerators to gather data and conduct experiments.

5. What is the importance of understanding dark matter and dark energy?

Understanding dark matter and dark energy is crucial in understanding the structure and evolution of the universe. It helps scientists explain the movement of galaxies and the expansion of the universe. It also has implications for our understanding of gravity and could potentially lead to new discoveries and technologies in the future.