Is space plasma the key to understanding dark matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential of space plasma as an explanation for dark matter. However, it is determined that there is not enough space plasma to account for all of the dark matter. The conversation also touches on the Pioneer anomaly and the interstellar medium.
Reid Knapp
Does space plasma explain dark matter? I have read about how Voyager 1 showed that there was different density in between our solar system and other galaxies. Doesn't the existence of space plasma then explain that the matter we cannot see is in fact space plasma? I really feel as though I am struggling on these concepts and need some further explanation. Irregardless of the answer to that question, do they have anything to do with each other?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What is 'space plasma'? The Pioneer 'anomaly' has been explained as heat recoil from the onboard power source.

I guess its also known as astrophysical plasma?

I guess 'it' is not yet known to science.

Reid Knapp said:
Does space plasma explain dark matter? I have read about how Voyager 1 showed that there was different density in between our solar system and other galaxies. Doesn't the existence of space plasma then explain that the matter we cannot see is in fact space plasma? I really feel as though I am struggling on these concepts and need some further explanation. Irregardless of the answer to that question, do they have anything to do with each other?

Are you referring to the interstellar and intergalactic medium? I guess you could call it a plasma.

From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_medium
On September 12 2013, NASA officially announced that Voyager 1 had reached the ISM on August 25, 2012, making it the first manmade object to do so. Interstellar plasma and dust will be studied until the mission's end in 2025.

If that's what you mean, then no. It does not explain dark matter. There isn't nearly enough of it.

1. What is dark matter and how is it different from regular matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that is theorized to exist in the universe but cannot be directly observed as it does not emit or interact with light. It is different from regular matter, which is made up of particles such as atoms and can be seen and measured through its interactions with light and other forms of energy.

2. How is dark matter detected and measured?

Dark matter is detected and measured through its gravitational effects on objects in the universe, such as stars and galaxies. Scientists also use indirect methods, such as observing the bending of light from distant objects, to study the distribution of dark matter in the universe.

3. What role does dark matter play in the formation of galaxies?

Dark matter is thought to play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies. Its gravitational pull helps to hold galaxies together and influences the distribution of stars and gas within them. Without dark matter, it is unlikely that galaxies would have formed as we know them.

4. Is dark matter related to dark energy?

No, dark matter and dark energy are two separate and distinct concepts. Dark matter is a type of matter that cannot be directly observed, while dark energy is a hypothesized force that is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

5. How do space plasma and dark matter interact?

Space plasma and dark matter can interact through their respective electromagnetic and gravitational forces. Plasma, which is a state of matter made up of charged particles, can be affected by the gravitational pull of dark matter. In turn, the movement of plasma can also influence the distribution of dark matter in the universe.