Are Dark Matter and Dark Energy Just Place Holder Labels for the Unknown?

• Thread starter SimonA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of anomalies and how they point towards new discoveries. The topic of dark matter and dark energy is brought up, with one person questioning if they are simply labels for things we don't understand. Another person argues that there is evidence for their existence, citing the Bullet Cluster as an example. The conversation also touches on the idea of honest mistakes versus the search for truth in physics. Overall, the conversation highlights the ongoing debate and research surrounding dark matter and dark energy in modern cosmology.
SimonA
Its been said that anomalies point the way to new revelations. Surely the only way to find a model that fits reality is to understand the anomalies. Would it be contentious to suggest that dark matter and dark energy are place holder labels for things we don't understand ?

If it is, I'll use the vastly different theories proposed by serious scientists to describe both to prove, in terms that would be acceptable in any court of law, that they are just that - place holder labels for things we don't understand. Even a million different papers supporting an hypothesis around dark matter as a type of particle in the 3D matter world view, would not mean anything if the models to support them are made purely to match the results of our observations. Surely ? Otherwise I may as well accept that Father Christmas delivers my Xmas presents.

When did we abandon fundamental understanding as the primary goal, and instead accepted any old theory that could be argued to support the data ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It looks like you are making a straw man argument. Dark matter and dark energy are open questions in current physics. There are various ideas trying to describe them, but there is nothing definite. A comparison with Father Christmas is nonsense.

When I was learning about modern cosmology it was very love/hate, for exactly the reasons you describe. One week I would be amazed, and the next week I would doubt everything.

For me the bottom line is that dark matter / dark energy sound far fetched until you start to read real textbooks or research papers, and start to think for yourself about how the logic excludes other possibilities. I really think that modern cosmology is an amazing example of the power of thousands of people working on little bits of science (sincerely no offense!) by which I mean there are so many little facts which require agreement, and the theory is double checked from so many angles, that my belief in dark matter and dark energy is pretty strong; it could be wrong, but it would be a honest mistake if it were, not a thin lie.

So do you have any evidence against the new versions of the modified gravity theories that explain the velocity of stars at the outer reaches of galaxies ?

Do you have any reason to believe that the acceleration of the expansion of the galaxy is not the natural result of the plateaux like energy of the quantum zero field ?

I don't care much about honest mistakes, I only care about the truth.

Read up on the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_Cluster" . It is direct evidence (though, of course not conclusive evidence) of matter that does not appear visibly to us.

Last edited by a moderator:
SimonA said:
I don't care much about honest mistakes, I only care about the truth.

Physics is not about truth, it is about fact. If you want to learn about truth you should go to philosophy classes (Indiana Jones quote which I love to give to amateurs)

And we already have zillions of threads about Dark Matter and Dark Energy...

The case for dark matter is pretty compelling these days due the the bullet cluster, as Dave noted. The case for dark energy remains indirect, based mostly on the Perlmutter supernova study, but has no real competitors thus far.

1. What is dark matter and where is it located?

Dark matter is a hypothetical form of matter that is thought to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not emit or absorb light, making it invisible to telescopes. Its exact location is still unknown, but it is believed to be distributed throughout the universe, including around galaxies and in the space between them.

2. How is dark matter different from regular matter?

Dark matter is different from regular matter in several ways. Firstly, it does not interact with light, making it invisible. It also does not interact with itself or with regular matter through the electromagnetic force, meaning it does not form atoms or molecules like regular matter does. Additionally, dark matter is thought to be more spread out and less concentrated than regular matter.

3. What evidence do we have for the existence of dark matter?

There are several lines of evidence that support the existence of dark matter. One of the main pieces of evidence comes from observations of the rotation of galaxies. Based on the amount of visible matter in a galaxy, its rotation speed should decrease as you move away from the center. However, observations have shown that the rotation speed remains constant, indicating the presence of additional, unseen matter. Other evidence comes from the gravitational lensing of light, the distribution of matter in galaxy clusters, and the cosmic microwave background radiation.

4. What is dark energy and how does it affect the expansion of the universe?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is thought to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the observed accelerated expansion of the universe. Unlike regular matter and dark matter, which have a gravitational pull that slows down the expansion, dark energy has a repulsive force that causes the expansion to speed up.

5. Can we detect or create dark matter and dark energy in a laboratory?

Currently, there is no way to directly detect or create dark matter or dark energy in a laboratory. However, scientists are working on experiments and technologies that could potentially detect dark matter particles or provide more information about dark energy. These efforts are ongoing and may lead to breakthroughs in the future.