Searching for Dark Energy, Dark Matter & Gravitational Radiation

In summary, gravitational radiation is being looked into more and more, as is the search for dark matter and energy. However, there has been no conclusive evidence found yet.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
How is the search for dark matter, dark energy and gravitational radiation going, as far as i can make
out there has been no direct detection and they remain conjectures

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
wolram said:
How is the search for dark matter, dark energy and gravitational radiation going, as far as i can make
out there has been no direct detection and they remain conjectures

There has been in the news just the last week or so an experiment that MAY have detected dark matter ... there's a thread on it somewhere here ... try a forum search for some thing like "dark matter found"

There have been recent advancements in detecting dark matter. From two different sources. However there's still not enough data to say. Yes we found dark matter.
Not much in detecting dark energy.
By gravitational radiation I am assuming you mean gravity waves. If that's the case then there's been nothing conclusive.

So essentially nothing conclusive to all 3

So if the experiment is run for another 2 yrs without detection, would that be a nail in the LCDM coffin?

wolram said:
So if the experiment is run for another 2 yrs without detection, would that be a nail in the LCDM coffin?

I'm fairly sure not. It's a bit of a matter of opinion at some point, but I think there's quite a bit of room to lower the cross-section for WIMPs before people start abandoning them altogether.

As for DE, I don't know of any experiment we are seriously pursing for direct detection. The nature of the phenomenon simply doesn't lend itself to easy access. We will very likely confirm the acceleration curves with DES and LSST, and this may provide some interesting data regarding the dark energy equation of state. But regarding direct detection...

Gravitational waves we should see within the next few years. If advanced LIGO turns on, manages to hit their design sensitivity, and runs for even a year or two without making a detection it will be EXTREMELY odd. All signs point to them making detections very roughly on the order of /week/month/day at their design sensitivity.

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the observed accelerating expansion of the universe.

2. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes. It is believed to make up about 25% of the total energy in the universe and is thought to be responsible for the gravitational effects observed in galaxies and galaxy clusters.

3. How do scientists search for dark energy and dark matter?

Scientists use a variety of methods to search for dark energy and dark matter, including studying the effects of gravitational lensing, observing the rotation curves of galaxies, and analyzing the cosmic microwave background radiation. They also conduct experiments with particle accelerators to try to detect dark matter particles directly.

4. What is gravitational radiation?

Gravitational radiation, also known as gravitational waves, is a type of energy that is emitted by accelerating masses. It is predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity and has been indirectly observed through the detection of binary neutron star mergers.

5. How does the search for dark energy, dark matter, and gravitational radiation impact our understanding of the universe?

The search for dark energy, dark matter, and gravitational radiation is crucial in helping us understand the fundamental properties and composition of the universe. These phenomena have a significant impact on the evolution and structure of the universe, and their discovery and study could potentially lead to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in physics and cosmology.