Can Dark Matter and Dark Energy Unify the Expansion of the Universe?

In summary, the authors propose a dynamical wave function collapse model that involves the liberation of energy from a fluctuating scalar field interacting with the matter wave function. By integrating the rate of energy liberation, they suggest that this could explain the magnitude of dark energy at the time of galaxy formation and lead to the present acceleration of the universe. However, the article has been criticized for lacking coherence and not being connected to established models of the universe.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Dark matter drives expansion

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0506108

Unification of dark matter and dark energy via quantum wave function collapse
Authors: A. S. Majumdar, D. Home
Comments: 5 pages, RevTex

Dynamical wave function collapse models entail the continuous liberation of a specified rate of energy arising from the interaction of a fluctuating scalar field with the matter wave function. We consider the wave function collapse process for the constituents of dark matter in our universe. Beginning from a particular early era of the universe chosen from physical considerations, the rate of the associated energy liberation is integrated to yield the requisite magnitude of dark energy at the time of galaxy formation. Further, the equation of state for the liberated energy approaches $\omega \to -1$ asymptotically, providing a mechanism to generate the present acceleration of the universe.

Sorry typo in header refuses to go away.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I wasn't sure i should post this letter, as is based on, along with hundreds
of others, on non discovered particles, energies, but i am not the one to
judge, against my better judgement i like the basic idea.

I have to agree that the article is pretty cranky (despite involving citations to legitimate journals, equations that resemble real GR equations, relevant buzz words, and allegedly funding to produce the paper). In short, it is incoherent and doesn't really set out a theory in any way connected to the universe or an established model of it. Still no harm done.

1. What is dark matter and how does it affect the expansion of the universe?

Dark matter refers to a type of matter that is believed to make up a significant portion of the universe, but does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation. Its presence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter. Dark matter is thought to play a key role in the expansion of the universe by providing the extra mass needed to counteract the gravitational pull of visible matter and allow for the observed accelerated expansion.

2. How do scientists detect and study dark matter?

Dark matter cannot be directly observed or detected, but its presence can be inferred through its gravitational effects. Scientists use various methods such as studying the rotation of galaxies, gravitational lensing, and observations of the cosmic microwave background to gather evidence for the existence of dark matter and understand its properties.

3. Is dark matter the only factor contributing to the expansion of the universe?

No, dark matter is not the only factor contributing to the expansion of the universe. Dark energy, a mysterious force that counteracts gravity and causes the universe to expand at an accelerated rate, is also thought to play a major role in the expansion of the universe.

4. How much of the universe is made up of dark matter?

Current estimates suggest that approximately 27% of the universe is made up of dark matter, while visible matter makes up only about 5%. The remaining 68% is thought to be made up of dark energy.

5. What are some current theories about the nature of dark matter?

There are several theories about the nature of dark matter, but the most widely accepted one is the "cold dark matter" theory, which suggests that dark matter consists of slow-moving, non-interacting particles. Other theories propose that dark matter may be made up of objects such as primordial black holes or new types of particles that have not yet been discovered.