When was Dark Matter Proposed After the Big Bang?

In summary: WIMPs, LSP, and Axion as potential candidates. These could have been created during the electroweak freeze out, which occurred less than a second after the big bang. However, there are still other theories and research being done on the topic. In summary, the existence and creation of dark matter is still a mystery, with various hypotheses being explored and debated by scientists.
Deepak247
Hi there...
I believe my previous questions related to a specific topic has caused a stir here with many people complaining/advising me to study that field more properly before asking anything...

So now i will change topic hoping everyone is happy with it...

I want to discuss dark matter now...Ive researched on it and what i need to know is that...

When is this proposed "DARK MATTER" came into being after the big bang?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
That would depend on what dark matter is actually made of. At this point, we don't know. We know that the evidence points towards its existence, but as to what it is, we can only hypothesize.

It's kind of like finding your trash can disturbed. The evidence points to some animal getting into it, but you don't know what kind. Is it raccoons? Possums? Cats?

yes of course but what is the MOST LIKELY assumption ? at what time or EPOCH after big bang does scientists consider it to be created? They must have some clue...do they?

Deepak247 said:
yes of course but what is the MOST LIKELY assumption ? at what time or EPOCH after big bang does scientists consider it to be created? They must have some clue...do they?

The most popular answer would be WIMPs at the time of the electroweak freeze out, much less than one second after the "big bang". Also Google "LSP" and "Axion" for further alternatives.

Jim Graber

<http://web.njit.edu/~gary/202/Lecture26.html>
Reading this lecture might be fun for you.
Jim Graber

Last edited by a moderator:

1. When was dark matter proposed after the Big Bang?

Dark matter was first proposed in the 1930s by Swiss astronomer Fritz Zwicky, who noticed discrepancies in the velocities of galaxies within galaxy clusters.

2. How was dark matter proposed after the Big Bang?

Dark matter was proposed through observations of the rotation curves of galaxies and the motions of galaxy clusters. These observations showed that there was more mass in the universe than could be accounted for by visible matter, leading to the hypothesis of dark matter.

3. What evidence supports the existence of dark matter after the Big Bang?

Several lines of evidence support the existence of dark matter after the Big Bang, including observations of galaxy rotation curves, gravitational lensing, and the cosmic microwave background radiation. These observations all suggest that there is more mass in the universe than can be explained by visible matter.

4. Why is dark matter important in understanding the evolution of the universe after the Big Bang?

Dark matter is important in understanding the evolution of the universe after the Big Bang because it makes up about 85% of the total mass of the universe. It is crucial in the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as the large-scale structure of the universe.

5. Is there a consensus among scientists about the existence of dark matter after the Big Bang?

While there is strong evidence for the existence of dark matter, there is still ongoing research and debate among scientists about its exact nature and properties. However, the majority of scientists agree that dark matter is necessary to explain the observed structure and behavior of the universe after the Big Bang.