Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Dark matter theories

1. Sep 25, 2017 #1
    Im doing a group presentation in one of my astrophysics papers this semester, and my part of the presentation is to research and outline the various theories for what dark matter could be. Does anyone on the pf know of any sites they may think will be helpful in my research, or any ideas on what theories I should include in the presentation and/or any other things that might help me with this assignment.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2017 #2

ISamson

Gold Member

4. Sep 25, 2017 #3
    Thanks that last link looks like its got a TON of information that will be super useful, exactly what i was looking for. Google just keeps returning links for Erik Verlinde's recent theory.

5. Sep 25, 2017 #4

ISamson

Gold Member

Yeah, arxiv.org is very useful.

6. Oct 11, 2017 #5
  7. Oct 11, 2017 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

8. Oct 12, 2017 #7
    goodluck mate. and when you get up there, remember to speak nice and loud, big chest! be confident and those ladies and men will be gushing with excitement! best of luck! always blow on the pie too.

hmm, im not sure that is correct. i appears to be about mostly dark matter in fact i can see the words "dark matter" in the article not once, but a couple of times. did you click on the correct link? the internet can be tricky sometimes, my grandfather often will tell me a link doesnt work when in fact it does.

9. Oct 12, 2017 #8
    yep your right I was getting all excited but then there is this paragraph You have probably heard about the hunt for dark matter, a mysterious substance thought to permeate the universe, the effects of which we can see through its gravitational pull. But our models of the universe also say there should be about twice as much ordinary matter out there, compared with what we have observed so far.

10. Oct 12, 2017 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

READ the article, don't just skim it for words.

11. Oct 12, 2017 #10

yeah it's a great article - did you manage to connect to it? my grandfather always messses up computer stuff too, i'm actually staying at his house at the moment! ill copy the link below. if it doesnt work then try to copy the text (click and drag) then paste it into the search bar (with right click, and a menu will pop up that says paste). PM me if you have any struggles :)! happy learning.

this is the link:
    https://www.newscientist.com/articl...es-missing-matter-has-just-been-finally-found

12. Oct 12, 2017 #11

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

???? So you think I addressed Simon's misunderstanding AND yours both without having read the article ?????

13. Oct 12, 2017 #12

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The total amount of non-dark matter has been known before, just the distribution was less clear than it is now with the recent research. We now know better how that mass is distributed, the total amount didn't change.

14. Oct 12, 2017 #13
    The OP is asking what are the current theories concerning dark matter.
    Well currently the betting is on WIMPS,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weakly_interacting_massive_particles
    Particles which are unlike the (atomic) baryronic matter that makes the material stuff of stars and planets and people.
    The paper referenced in earlier posts is about the distribution of baryonic matter, not dark matter.

15. Oct 12, 2017 #14
    if are struggling can pm me about it a bit busy to discuss it here bud :)

have tried just right clicking the link that posted in previous post? happy to help buddy :D can help me with physics can help you with computers

by the way feel free to like my post if helped!

16. Oct 12, 2017 #15
    I think you have maybe read a different article, try and see if you can open the link that Kuzon has posted that is the one the original poster was referring to. Have you had much experience with computers before ? I'm sure Kuzon would not mind answering any questions you have if you wanted to send him a private message.
    Good luck!

17. Oct 12, 2017 #16

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I can't tell if you are trolling or just seriously not paying attention to what is going on but either way, it's not looking good for you.

18. Oct 12, 2017 #17

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is REALLY getting weird. BOTH links (post #5 & post #10) point to exactly the same article. Read this thread carefully.

19. Oct 12, 2017 #18
    Oh very sorry, my apologies I didn't realise that both links were to the same article, but are you sure that is the article that you have read? Only asking because it seems although you were talking about another article, or maybe didn't understand the linked one fully? Computers sometimes do this to us !

20. Oct 12, 2017 #19

what? i was just try to help you out man

21. Oct 12, 2017 #20

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

*I* understood the article, but others did not, thinking incorrectly that it was about a discover regarding dark matter (which is the subject of this thread). I simply pointed out that it was NOT about dark matter and then things just got weird.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook