Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dark matter

1. Apr 30, 2007 #1
    I'm doing a project on dark matter and i've found some good information but I still haven't found any related mathematical equations.. are there any not to complicated ones i can relate to it??
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What sort of equations are you looking for? Dark matter is subject to gravity, but nothing else is really known about it.
  4. May 1, 2007 #3

Science Advisor

The most relevant equations would be the derivation of the rotation curve for a galaxy of a given density profile, but the graphical representation of these curves for Baryons only and Baryons + Dark Matter might be a more accessible and equally informative for you. There is a graph and some info on the Wiki site, but I'm sure a quick Google search would pull up a fair bit of info as well, once you read this and know what you are looking for.

Good luck with your project :smile:
  5. May 2, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Using math not terribly more complex than Keplers laws you can calculate how much uniformly distributed, unseen [dark] matter can exist within the confines of our solar system without messing up planetary orbits [Hints: [1] virial theorem; [2] its less than the mass of Jupiter].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?