Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Dark matter?

1. Jan 13, 2017 #1
    What is exactly the dark matter? There are lot's of things hitting at a particle nature of dark matter I mean observation of the bullet cluster, freeze out times in the earlier universe, the third peak in the CMB power spectrum.

I think there is no known consistent explanation by modified gravity models. On the other hand there are any different dark matter models that are able to explain all observations. Hmmm well of course this does not prove anything, but to our current knowledge particle dark matter is definitely the best guess.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

We don't know. It could be a new particle that only interacts through gravity, it could be that gravity behaves differently than our current laws, or it could be something else. The first possibility is currently thought to be the most probable one.

4. Jan 13, 2017 #3
    Or it maybe that there is some as yet undiscovered particles that makes up of the dark matter, it may be that the dark matter is actually our misunderstanding of the laws of gravity, or or it maybe something else entirely that we haven't even thought of yet

5. Jan 13, 2017 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that is exactly what I said. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted