Dark Matter

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I increasing convinced that no single particle species can satisfactorily account for the dark sector any more than a single particle species is sufficient to account for the baryon sector. It appears reasonable to consider the neutrino as a card carrying member of the dark sector and probably so is the Higgs. With that in mind, multiple DM particles does not look like a particularly risky prospect, IMO. Unsurprisingly, this has been considered, as evidenced here; https://arxiv.org/abs/1204.0514,
Multiple Dark Matter as a self-regulating mechanism for dark sector interactions.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
It appears reasonable to consider the neutrino as a card carrying member of the dark sector and probably so is the Higgs.
The Higgs is too short-lived to be part of the dark sector.

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, but, I do not view that as precluding it from being part of the dark sector - especially if it confers mass to dark sector particles.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Yes, but, I do not view that as precluding it from being part of the dark sector - especially if it confers mass to dark sector particles.
The Higgs field is not dark, it is most certainly interacting with Standard Model particles (and it also gives mass to weak gauge bosons and fermions!). That said, you may be thinking about the Higgs portal, which is a collective name for models where the main interactions between the Standard Model and the dark sector are mediated by the Higgs. Also, when you build models it is very difficult to build models where the dark matter does not interact via the weak interaction, but interacts with the Higgs, since the Higgs is an ##SU(2)_L## doublet - at least if you care about gauge invariance.

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Given DM has mass, it is easy to make the leap and assume the Higgs interacts with dark sector particles. Of course that hinges upon the Higgs accoutning for all mass, which may be debatable.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Given DM has mass, it is easy to make the leap and assume the Higgs interacts with dark sector particles. Of course that hinges upon the Higgs accoutning for all mass, which may be debatable.
Very debatable. A majority of dark matter models that I am aware of does not give DM mass through EW symmetry breaking.

Edit: In fact, it is so debatable that it sounds to me like any such model would be severely constrained.

Closed while the mentors discuss.

Edit: After discussion, it will remain closed since it has gone so firmly off topic.

Last edited: