Where Can I Find the Darkest Places for Star Gazing in the Northeast?

• Thread starter Stratosphere
  • Start date
In summary: If you could just be willing to go a little bit farther south, I'm sure you'll be pleased with this dark location...In summary, the north east is dark, but the south is also dark. The northest place you can go to see dark skies is in Maine or the Adirondacks.
Stratosphere
I am looking for dark places in The north east for start gazing, sadly the town were I live has a lot of light polution.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Come to central Maine. Once you get 20-30 miles north of I-95 it gets pretty darned dark at night.

Maine and Adirondacks are probably going to be your best bets. I can confirm that the night sky is amazing from both, especially if you've grown up in a suburb or city. This map is a great resource for finding the closest dark sky near you.

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
DaleSwanson said:
Maine and Adirondacks are probably going to be your best bets. I can confirm that the night sky is amazing from both, especially if you've grown up in a suburb or city. This map is a great resource for finding the closest dark sky near you.

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/index.php

Wow there is a lot of light pollution in the north. The only dark place is in Maine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stratosphere said:
Wow there is a lot of light pollution in the north. The only dark place is in Maine.

If you could just be willing to go a little bit farther south, I'm sure you'll be pleased with this dark location...

long. 120* ...Lat.-85*

Of course you won't be able to see the North star, but what the heck; you'll get several months of solid darkness.

Here's the map. http://www.geocities.com/cliffcjkirby/AntarcticaMap.gif

Creator

PS. Watch out for converging circumpolar satellites. :smile: :wink:

1. What are considered the "darkest places" in America?

The term "darkest places" can refer to various locations in America, such as abandoned buildings, ghost towns, or areas with high crime rates. It can also refer to places with a dark history, such as former prisons or sites of tragic events.

2. Are there any safety concerns when visiting these places?

Yes, it is important to exercise caution when visiting these places. Many of them may be abandoned or located in remote areas, so it is important to research and plan ahead. Some places may also have restricted access or be deemed unsafe for visitors.

3. Why are these places considered "dark"?

These places may have a negative reputation or be associated with eerie or unsettling events. They may also have a history of violence, tragedy, or paranormal activity.

4. Can you provide some examples of "darkest places" in America?

Some examples include the abandoned town of Centralia, Pennsylvania, known for its underground mine fire; the Alcatraz Island prison in San Francisco, California; and the abandoned Six Flags Jazzland amusement park in New Orleans, Louisiana.

5. Are there any scientific explanations for the "dark" phenomena associated with these places?

There may be scientific explanations for some of the eerie events or phenomena associated with these places, such as natural occurrences like geological activity or environmental factors. However, some of the stories and legends surrounding these places may be purely cultural or supernatural in nature.