Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Darn Coyotes!

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Crud, it looks we have a coyote nesting in the brush next to our property. I saw it this morning as I was walking down to the office. Bad news for our kitties. :frown: And right now I don't know where Little Tyke is, but she usually is out this time of the morning.

I was afraid of this. Once the dogs all got old and died, the wildlife started moving in. Already we've had deer nesting this spring, so he may be after them.

I have a neighbor who is a cattle rancher who will hopefully take care of the problem. I almost got a chance to get off a shot but he was probably over 100 yrds away. I can't safely shoot that direction with a rifle and he was out of range for the shotgun. As soon as I approached he took off.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

You could mine the nest while he's out...

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oh No!!! Please let us know if Little Tyke shows up. :frown:

5. Apr 8, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Is Little Tyke old enough to carry a gun? Just in case?

6. Apr 8, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She is probably fine; otherwise she would have been hanging out of his mouth when he took off.

Borek, I tried to give her a gun but she is one of those bleeding-heart liberals who refuses to use one.

7. Apr 8, 2009 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Good luck, Ivan. Those guys are pretty wary - that's how come they keep expanding their ranges into well-populated areas. Luckily, red squirrels aren't that bright, so I was able to clean them out of here with a pellet gun. Before I got rid of them, I could tell all my chipmunks apart by their scars - they were getting ripped up pretty badly. A few months after the squirrels were cleared out, the only way I could tell the 'munks apart was by their behavior - this one runs at me, climbs my clothes and searches my pockets for seeds - that one runs to my feet, and waits for me to lower my hands with some seeds in them before she'll climb in and let me pick her up - you get the picture. I just couldn't stand to see them all gashed up over and over again.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  8. Apr 8, 2009 #7
    Oh well, I'll probably get my *** burned.

You can't fool with Mother nature. If you do you face the consequences.

Sorry.:uhh:

9. Apr 8, 2009 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tsu just called and said that Little Tyke is asleep on the bed. Whew.

Around here the cattle people keep the predators in check. I called one of the leaders in that group who probably already has someone working on the problem. But this is not good. That was much too close. He or she may be nesting just a few hundred feet away from where I sit.

10. Apr 8, 2009 #9
    Keep them all indoors if at all possible. I had one friend in Colorado whose cat got taken (he would have stayed and tried to fight the coyote)... and one friend whose cat was attacked but miraculously survived.

This second kitty was so fat that even though there was a large chunk taken out his side, no vital organs where damaged. The vet did emergency surgery, cleaned the wound... and since the cat was excessively chubby, there was enough skin to pull over and seal the wound. He's now "lopsided" --- with one side still chubby and the other side totally removed from the attack. But man... he's one of those "nicest cats in the world" (the kind that jump right on your lap right away, purr and settle in... then won't leave!).

11. Apr 8, 2009 #10
    Thats so scary, lets hope all your pets remain safe.

12. Apr 8, 2009 #11

While I recognize the problem at hand, I'd hope that you'd try and run him off before resorting to killing him...

13. Apr 8, 2009 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You live next to a cattle rancher? I live in the middle of the megametropolis and we've got coyotes in the city parks...

14. Apr 8, 2009 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I kilz em an then I eatz em. Mmmmmm, nothin like coyote an grits.

This is cattle and sheep country. If my dog chases the neighbor's cow, my neighbor has the right to shoot my dog on sight. Coyotes require immediate intervention. As far as I know, they are always shot.

15. Apr 8, 2009 #14
    Yet, they are least concern (not extinct)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyotes

16. Apr 8, 2009 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the hills around Los Angeles, they have occasional problems with mountain lions in areas where homes were built recently, and during times of drought. That can be a very serious problem. I once heard a mountain lion scream while I was walking through the woods at night, and it's not something that I'd care to hear again.

Are the coyotes any danger to humans? I guess children could be a target?

17. Apr 8, 2009 #16
    I read somewhere that they don't attack humans unless some people go and feed them. According to wikipedia or some other place I read, they don't look dangerous to adults (>10-15).

18. Apr 8, 2009 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Occasionally someone walking their http://stamp-search.com/images/ant9405co-small-dogs.jpg" [Broken] finds themselves holding a leash with no occupant.

Parents with toddlers have been followed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  19. Apr 8, 2009 #18

turbo

Gold Member

If a coyote attacks a Cairn terrier, my money's on the Scottie.

20. Apr 8, 2009 #19
    At my parents' place, there are coyotes everywhere. I've never had a problem with them. The only times I even pay attention to them are when I'm walking my tiny dog.

21. Apr 8, 2009 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You probably don't notice the coyotes what with the gang of ten-year-olds stomping on your glasses and giving you wedgies after seeing you walk your tiny girlie dog.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook