Coyote Nesting Near Our Property - Concern for Kitties

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Property
In summary, a coyote has been nesting near our property and the cattle rancher who lives next to us said that he will take care of the problem. However, we should keep our pets inside if possible and pray that Little Tyke doesn't get into any trouble.
OAQfirst said:

I didn't know that skunks sounded like that. They're cute, too!
Baby skunks are very vocal. It's a hoot to have them crowded around you in the growing darkness and listen to them. Finally, when Mama calls (sometimes more than once if they're having too much fun) they head off with her, and generally form a line. It's cute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where I'm moving, there's a big field across from me, and lots of woods around too. Apparently, there are coyotes (but I already knew there were coyotes generally in the area...it's best for pets around here to be kept indoors), and a whole bunch of deer who eat the landscaping. I'm somewhat tempted to request the coyotes help control the deer a bit. Supposedly, I'll also have an ocassional stray bear (one of my friends lives in the same area and says it's rare, but once in a while one wanders through the neighborhood), and plenty of wild turkeys (I've been seeing a lot of those all over the place lately though...a large flock of them was in one of the fields I pass on the way to work the other day, with 3 or 4 males strutting their stuff while the females cheered them on...I've never before stumbled upon wild turkeys in the midst of mating displays...they sure did look tasty).

The mouse colony in the garage has already been eradicated by the sellers. My friend tells me there are plenty of chipmunks around the neighborhood too...a few too many and they get a bit destructive, but I enjoy chipmunks too much to care.

I can't wait, just a few more weeks until I can enjoy it. :smile:

turbo-1 said:
Baby skunks are very vocal. It's a hoot to have them crowded around you in the growing darkness and listen to them. Finally, when Mama calls (sometimes more than once if they're having too much fun) they head off with her, and generally form a line. It's cute.
I saw the most cutest raft of skunks. Imagine an unknown number of skunk kits, all tails in the air, moving across your lawn as a single unit of black-and-white a metre square.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
Where I'm moving, there's a big field across from me, and lots of woods around too. Apparently, there are coyotes (but I already knew there were coyotes generally in the area...it's best for pets around here to be kept indoors), and a whole bunch of deer who eat the landscaping. I'm somewhat tempted to request the coyotes help control the deer a bit. Supposedly, I'll also have an ocassional stray bear (one of my friends lives in the same area and says it's rare, but once in a while one wanders through the neighborhood), and plenty of wild turkeys (I've been seeing a lot of those all over the place lately though...a large flock of them was in one of the fields I pass on the way to work the other day, with 3 or 4 males strutting their stuff while the females cheered them on...I've never before stumbled upon wild turkeys in the midst of mating displays...they sure did look tasty).

The mouse colony in the garage has already been eradicated by the sellers. My friend tells me there are plenty of chipmunks around the neighborhood too...a few too many and they get a bit destructive, but I enjoy chipmunks too much to care.

I can't wait, just a few more weeks until I can enjoy it. :smile:

Cool Moonbear! And with the bears kicking around, you can spend some time with family.

Ivan Seeking said:
They are all babies except for mom, who is heading under the shed.
With their tails up like that, you should be glad they were only babies. :eek:

dlgoff said:
With their tails up like that, you should be glad they were only babies. :eek:
Even the babies are fully-armed. They need to keep that weapon ready to go, though, and won't discharge unless they feel very threatened. When my wife picked up the baby skunk at the animal rescue, she asked Carlene if the skunk was descented and was told "No, or she wouldn't be able to defend herself when we release her."