1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Darn Magnets!

1. Jun 9, 2014 #1
    Hi, I have two questions that I want to solve correctly... and help is a appreciated.

1. Is the current direction/Poles on right figure correct? https://www.dropbox.com/s/bs3lvak4wda5lqu/23.png

2. This one I'm sure is wrong... not too sure what I'm doing here.... Are the currents correct at all? Poles, arrows were added by me https://www.dropbox.com/s/24iecu3bm6grlq7/25.png

Thanks in advance, If I could get insight or answers ASAP that would be great :D

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 10, 2014 #3
    You're right, I totally forgot about that, Thanks. Do you have any insight into the second question?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  5. Jun 10, 2014 #4
  6. Jun 10, 2014 #5
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  7. Jun 10, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

current goes from -ve to +ve
    there s a rule for working out the force on a current carrying wire in a magnetic field.

8. Jun 10, 2014 #7

jedishrfu

Using the rule it appears that you've labeled the poles correctly. Im not sure about the cylinder thing. Are you trying to draw an electric motor schematic?

9. Jun 10, 2014 #8
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that it's a magnet with coil wrapped around it. Would the North to South Pole direction change?

10. Jun 10, 2014 #9
    Thanks guys, I suppose my real question is about the electromagnetic pole from the North to South pole that acts on the object between. Does it still go from North to South, or does the wire along the magnet interfere with that?

11. Jun 10, 2014 #10
    I think it still go from north to south, just like ordinary U shaped magnet...

12. Jun 10, 2014 #11
    So the diagram I drew for my 2nd question was correct? I really want to know that I'm doing this right before I get into it. Thanks

13. Jun 10, 2014 #12
    I just understand the electromagnet, I don't understand what is between the magnet in your picture sir..
    As I know, magnetic field come from the north pole to the south pole...one direction, no way back

14. Jun 11, 2014 #13

NascentOxygen

It shouldn't.

15. Jun 11, 2014 #14

NascentOxygen

No, it's not correct.

What are all those arrows you've drawn on the wire?

16. Jun 12, 2014 #15

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was answering another thread with a different diagram it seems.

17. Jun 13, 2014 #16

NascentOxygen

Don't you just hate that, when you get cross-threaded? :wink:

There exist circuits where current goes from - to + ? Where can I find one?

18. Jun 13, 2014 #17

adjacent

Gold Member

Conventional current?
    I don't think so

19. Jun 13, 2014 #18

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

In that thread Simon was referring to.. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted