Solving Hospital Room Charges: k1, k2, and Cost per Day

• Thread starter santhean
  • Start date
Here we are again with the two equations (one being a repeat of the other) but, with different constants. The first equation is:$220 = X + (Y/1)The second equation is:$166 = X + (Y/4)We can subtract the first equation from the second equation:$166 = X + (Y/4) - ($220 = X + (Y/1))$166 = X + (Y/4) - $220 = X + (Y/1)-$54 = 0 + (Y/4) - X + (Y/1)-$54 = Y/4 - X + (Y/1)-$54 = Y/4 + (4
santhean
1. Suppose that a hospital charges you $220 per day if you sty in a private room and $166 / day if you stay in a room for 4 people. Assume that the amount you pay is the sum of a constant amount (for the services you receive) and an amount which varies inversely with the number of people the room will hold (to pay for your share of the room)
- a] Calculate the constant amount you pay for services and the proportionality constant in the variation function.
- b] What does the hospital charge for a room, exclusive of the services to the paitent?
- c] How much would you expect to pay / day if you stayed in
i. semi-private room holding 2 people?
ii. a ward holding 20 people?

2. I'm not sure what you put here for relevant equations? But this section deals with functions of more than one independent variable where in y=kx there is more than 1 x. Something like that.

The Attempt at a Solution

- a] total amount = k1 + amount x
amount x = k2 / number of people
then i plugged in for amount x and got --> total amount = k1 + k2/ number of people
so now a] is asking for the value of the two ks? But which numbers do i plug in? and can I combine k1 + k2 to make a k3?

- b] I think for this you use the equation - total amount = k2/ number of people but w/o solving a, i can't solve b

- c] this is plugging and chugging.. if I knew the equation from a]

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
santhean,

Welcome to Physics Forums. Your problem can be reworded to make it a little more understandable.

You have two equations. In the first equation, the total cost of $220 equals the services plus the cost of a room (Y) divided by a single person in the room. In the second equation, the total cost of $166 equals the services plus the cost of a room (Y) divided by four people in the room.

The cost of the services (X) is the same in both cases. For the first case, your equation would look like this:

$220 = X + (Y/1)

What would the second equation look like?

Last edited:
santhean,

I reworded the above text but, the equation is the same. It's very early here and I guess that I'm not awake yet. :blushing:

What is the purpose of solving hospital room charges?

The purpose of solving hospital room charges is to accurately determine the cost of providing care to patients in a hospital setting. This information is important for budgeting, cost analysis, and setting prices for medical services.

What are k1 and k2 in the context of hospital room charges?

K1 and k2 are variables used in the equation for calculating the cost of hospital room charges. K1 represents the fixed cost of maintaining a hospital room, while k2 represents the variable cost associated with providing care to a patient in that room.

How is the cost per day calculated for hospital room charges?

The cost per day for hospital room charges is calculated by adding the fixed cost (k1) and the variable cost (k2) for each day that a patient stays in the room. This total is then divided by the number of days the patient was in the room to get the cost per day.

What factors can affect the values of k1 and k2?

The values of k1 and k2 can be affected by various factors, including the type and quality of the hospital room, the type of medical care provided, the location of the hospital, and the cost of medical supplies and equipment.

How is solving hospital room charges beneficial for patients?

Solving hospital room charges can be beneficial for patients because it allows for transparency in pricing and can help patients understand the cost of their medical care. It also allows for hospitals to accurately budget and potentially reduce costs for patients in the future.