Have You Found a Rare Darwin £2 Coin in Your Change?

• Thread starter tiny-tim
  • Start date
In summary: Speaking of foreign money, I'm hoping the Zimbabwe economy does a 180 and these bills come back to full value. I have two of them, and they're really cool.Speaking of foreign money, I'm hoping the Zimbabwe economy does a 180 and these bills come back to full value. I have two of them, and they're really cool.In summary, some people are upset that the US currency has "In God We Trust" on it. Apparently this has been on the money since 2009. There are a lot of other countries that have scientists on their money, such as Newton who was master of the mint. I think the UK's designs are more interesting than the Euros.
tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
i found this in my change, apparently they've been in circulation since 2009 …

coin2.jpg

any chance the usa would issue a coin like this? o:)

(btw, for pictures of all the uk £2 coins see http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/pics/dec2p.html)

Physics news on Phys.org
I remember this coin, it was for the bicentenary I think. I do prefer having him on the back of things, would be odd if it was on a dollar right beneath "in god we trust" :tongue2:

2v1kfpx.jpg

I don't think Darwin will be appearing on any US money in the foreseeable future.

zoobyshoe said:
I don't think Darwin will be appearing on any US money in the foreseeable future.

Not as long as US money is tied to religion I guess.
Interesting contrast with the UK.

I like Serena said:
A lot of other countries put scientists on money:
http://www2.physics.umd.edu/~redish/Money/

Newton was master of the mint for a while and actually executed a counterfeiter. Therefore, it would be humorously ironic to counterfeit some of these:

Newton_on_the_One_Pound_note.jpg

I think i might keep my eye out for one of these

I would love to have one of those coins, but I can't afford it.

zoobyshoe said:

I like Serena said:

Also we prefer to put US citizens on our money. :wink:

I like Serena said:

A plethora of whackos flipped out when "In God We Trust" was printed on the outer edge of the recent dollar coins. By gum, Francis Scott Key said "let this be our motto..." Who are we to argue with a second-rate poet?

Well he was.

Chi Meson said:
Francis Scott Key said "let this be our motto..." Who are we to argue with a second-rate poet?

Well he was.

And let's not forget that "the rockets' red glare" referred to those incoming from the Brits 2 miles down the river; you guys didn't have them. :biggrin:

I must say there are some excellent designs on both notes and coins here in the UK. They are so much more interesting than the rather bland and generic designs used on Euros.

TheMadMonk said:
I must say there are some excellent designs on both notes and coins here in the UK. They are so much more interesting than the rather bland and generic designs used on Euros.

I guess the designs on the Euro have been hampered a bit by the various national prides, making them a bit bland.

But you made me want to compare the different bills, so I looked up a few pictures.

dollar-bills-of-1-2-5-10-20-50-and-100-worth-ff4ff.jpg

Bills.jpg

euro_notes3.jpg

To be honest, seeing them like this, I like the euro best.
The euro bills look the most clean and with subtle colorings.
And here are the old bills that I was used to, but that are no more.

guldenheimwee.png

They are a bit more colorful with some original designs in them.
The bills 50, 100, and the ones after had been redesigned leaving the concept of putting people on the money.

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
They don't look like money to me. They look like tickets for public transportation.

zoobyshoe said:
They don't look like money to me. They look like tickets for public transportation.

Hmm, I do not associate them with tickets for public transportation...

So which money do you like best and why?

I like Serena said:
Hmm, I do not associate them with tickets for public transportation...

So which money do you like best and why?
I have to say, completely chauvinistically, that I like the U.S. money best because it's the only money that looks like actual money to me. The other stuff doesn't look spendable.

You don't have to get upset by that, it's the natural result of never having to handle any of the other money, never even seeing it, except on the internet.

I love the UK, and am not at all happy about the revolution. Lovely coin, imo.

I have to say, completely chauvinistically, that I like the U.S. money best because it's the only money that looks like actual money to me. The other stuff doesn't look spendable.

You don't have to get upset by that, it's the natural result of never having to handle any of the other money, never even seeing it, except on the internet.
I kind of agree. American currency looks more official. It has a bunch of text and numbers on it that, I guess, gives me that impression.
Some foreign money is too colorful and looks counterfeit.

Speaking of foreign money, I'm hoping the Zimbabwe economy does a 180 and these bills come back to full value. I have two of them.

Zimbabwe-100-trillion.jpg

I like Serena said:
I guess the designs on the Euro have been hampered a bit by the various national prides, making them a bit bland.

But you made me want to compare the different bills, so I looked up a few pictures.

The British ten and twenty don't look like those any more, and you forgot the legendary fifty.

The thing I couldn't get used to in the US is that all the notes look and feel the same. British bank notes have a different size and colour for each denomination which are a good aid for the partially sighted.

leroyjenkens said:
I kind of agree. American currency looks more official. It has a bunch of text and numbers on it that, I guess, gives me that impression.
Some foreign money is too colorful and looks counterfeit.
It seems that way to me, too. I did visit London for a week once (1973) and had a sort of surreal reaction to the money, that England was a weird place where you could spend fake monopoly money as if it were real.

Wait'll you get a load of the new Canuck $100 bill. It's made of an almost indestructible polymer. Parts of it are completely transparent, and it's loaded with holograms. No more tragic crying over having left your money in your pocket when the pants went through the washing machine.
Brewski, I don't know about English money. Here, all of our bills, including the plastic ones, have Braille printing for the visually impaired.

That's weird, I posted a picture of the 100,000,000,000,000 dollar Zimbabwe dollar bill, but now it's gone.

leroyjenkens said:
That's weird, I posted a picture of the 100,000,000,000,000 dollar Zimbabwe dollar bill, but now it's gone.

It probably wouldn't fit on the screen.

Danger said:
It probably wouldn't fit on the screen.

I saw it right after I posted it and it looked fine. But today it's gone. My post was also on the first page yesterday, so maybe something weird happened after it was put on the second page for whatever reason. Oh well.

zoobyshoe said:
I agree. Whenever I travel to Europe I always have a feeling like I am ripping off the store keepers by exchanging Monopoly money for real items. It is a visceral feeling that I know in my head is incorrect, but I can't help feeling it.

Of course, for the past several years I just use credit cards for everything, which for some reason never feels like play money to me.

leroyjenkens said:
I saw it right after I posted it and it looked fine.

Oops. I thought that you were just making a joke, because the existence of such a thing seems so ludicrous. My response was based upon thinking that the thing would have to be a couple of feet wide to accommodate all of the zeros.

I found another picture for you, though:

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/zimbabwe100trillion2009.jpg/][PLAIN]http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2721/zimbabwe100trillion2009.jpg[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/PLAIN]

on the topic of scientists on money:

nz100.jpg

ThomasT said:
I love the UK, and am not at all happy about the revolution. Lovely coin, imo.
Revolution? :confused:

Ryan_m_b said:
Revolution? :confused:

1688 and all that, when England was ruled by an orange. (Other citrus fruits are available).

Or maybe he thinks Oliver Cromwell should still be president?

Danger said:
Wait'll you get a load of the new Canuck $100 bill. It's made of an almost indestructible polymer. Parts of it are completely transparent, and it's loaded with holograms. No more tragic crying over having left your money in your pocket when the pants went through the washing machine.
Brewski, I don't know about English money. Here, all of our bills, including the plastic ones, have Braille printing for the visually impaired.

yea their pretty cool, I agree about the washing machine. But what about the dryer? :smile:
Don't leave your wallet on the dash in the summer time! Time to google the melting point of these new bills...(-60 to 100 in celsius as per BoC)

Some say the new polymer $100's smell like maple.

I can't see these ever being counterfeited.

nitsuj said:

I can't see these ever being counterfeited.

Simply soak your fakes in maple syrup for a while. :tongue2:

Another scientist on money:

germany_2_mark_planck_1957.jpg

I have one of these somewhere at home, from my first visit to Germany in the 1970s.

nitsuj said:

It wasn't in my possession long enough for me to check. Maybe the liquor store still has it.

I like Serena said:

Bills.jpg

I've not seen them in circulation too often, as somebody else mentioned I think they are older ones.

Getting hold of Bank of England notes like those in the picture can be quite difficult in Scotland. Three banks issue their own notes and they seem to make up the bulk of the notes in circulation. An interesting little quirk that seems to surprise a lot of people.

TheMadMonk said:
I've not seen them in circulation too often, as somebody else mentioned I think they are older ones.

Getting hold of Bank of England notes like those in the picture can be quite difficult in Scotland. Three banks issue their own notes and they seem to make up the bulk of the notes in circulation. An interesting little quirk that seems to surprise a lot of people.

Clydesdale bank are my favorites. Outside of Scotland, nobody will believe that they are real money! I like how the larger notes are actually larger.

edit: dang that was a large image

just click the link:
http://thesprinklesfiles.pbworks.com/f/clydesdale.jpg

Most of England won't take them, even though Bank of England notes are regularly accepted all over Scotland.

tiny-tim said:
any chance the usa would issue a coin like this? o:)

If Darwin was an American, he might have made it onto a Postage Stamp (like he has several times in the UK)... the US tries to keep general circulation coins and paper simple (and even the Commemorative coins are generally some national-specific significance: President, battles, national event, etc).

<h2>1. What is a rare Darwin £2 coin?</h2><p>A rare Darwin £2 coin is a special edition coin that was released by the Royal Mint in 2009 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Charles Darwin's birth. It features a portrait of Darwin and a depiction of the HMS Beagle, the ship he sailed on during his famous voyage.</p><h2>2. How can I tell if I have a rare Darwin £2 coin?</h2><p>The rare Darwin £2 coin has a unique design with raised lettering and a milled edge. It also has the inscription "On the Origin of Species" on the outer edge. If your coin has these features, it is likely a rare Darwin £2 coin.</p><h2>3. What is the value of a rare Darwin £2 coin?</h2><p>The value of a rare Darwin £2 coin can vary depending on its condition and rarity. However, some rare versions of this coin have sold for hundreds or even thousands of pounds. It is always best to consult with a coin expert or do research to determine the current value of your specific coin.</p><h2>4. How rare is the rare Darwin £2 coin?</h2><p>The rare Darwin £2 coin is considered to be relatively rare compared to other coins in circulation. It is estimated that only 3.9 million of these coins were minted, making it a sought-after item among collectors.</p><h2>5. Can I still use a rare Darwin £2 coin as legal tender?</h2><p>Yes, the rare Darwin £2 coin is still considered legal tender in the UK and can be used to make purchases. However, it is worth more than its face value, so many people choose to keep it as a collectible item rather than spend it.</p>

1. What is a rare Darwin £2 coin?

A rare Darwin £2 coin is a special edition coin that was released by the Royal Mint in 2009 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Charles Darwin's birth. It features a portrait of Darwin and a depiction of the HMS Beagle, the ship he sailed on during his famous voyage.

2. How can I tell if I have a rare Darwin £2 coin?

The rare Darwin £2 coin has a unique design with raised lettering and a milled edge. It also has the inscription "On the Origin of Species" on the outer edge. If your coin has these features, it is likely a rare Darwin £2 coin.

3. What is the value of a rare Darwin £2 coin?

The value of a rare Darwin £2 coin can vary depending on its condition and rarity. However, some rare versions of this coin have sold for hundreds or even thousands of pounds. It is always best to consult with a coin expert or do research to determine the current value of your specific coin.

4. How rare is the rare Darwin £2 coin?

The rare Darwin £2 coin is considered to be relatively rare compared to other coins in circulation. It is estimated that only 3.9 million of these coins were minted, making it a sought-after item among collectors.

5. Can I still use a rare Darwin £2 coin as legal tender?

Yes, the rare Darwin £2 coin is still considered legal tender in the UK and can be used to make purchases. However, it is worth more than its face value, so many people choose to keep it as a collectible item rather than spend it.