• Start date
wukunlin
Gold Member
on the topic of scientists on money:

nz100.jpg

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I love the UK, and am not at all happy about the revolution. Lovely coin, imo.
Revolution? :confused:

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Revolution? :confused:

1688 and all that, when England was ruled by an orange. (Other citrus fruits are available).

Or maybe he thinks Oliver Cromwell should still be president?

Wait'll you get a load of the new Canuck $100 bill. It's made of an almost indestructible polymer. Parts of it are completely transparent, and it's loaded with holograms. No more tragic crying over having left your money in your pocket when the pants went through the washing machine.
Brewski, I don't know about English money. Here, all of our bills, including the plastic ones, have Braille printing for the visually impaired.

yea their pretty cool, I agree about the washing machine. But what about the dryer? :smile:
Don't leave your wallet on the dash in the summer time! Time to google the melting point of these new bills...(-60 to 100 in celsius as per BoC)

Some say the new polymer $100's smell like maple.

I can't see these ever being counterfeited.

jtbell
Mentor

I can't see these ever being counterfeited.

Simply soak your fakes in maple syrup for a while. :tongue2:

Another scientist on money:

germany_2_mark_planck_1957.jpg

I have one of these somewhere at home, from my first visit to Germany in the 1970s.

Danger
Gold Member

It wasn't in my possession long enough for me to check. Maybe the liquor store still has it.

TheMadMonk
But you made me want to compare the different bills, so I looked up a few pictures.

Bills.jpg

To be honest, seeing them like this, I like the euro best.
The euro bills look the most clean and with subtle colorings.

I've not seen them in circulation too often, as somebody else mentioned I think they are older ones.

Getting hold of Bank of England notes like those in the picture can be quite difficult in Scotland. Three banks issue their own notes and they seem to make up the bulk of the notes in circulation. An interesting little quirk that seems to surprise a lot of people.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I've not seen them in circulation too often, as somebody else mentioned I think they are older ones.

Getting hold of Bank of England notes like those in the picture can be quite difficult in Scotland. Three banks issue their own notes and they seem to make up the bulk of the notes in circulation. An interesting little quirk that seems to surprise a lot of people.

Clydesdale bank are my favorites. Outside of Scotland, nobody will believe that they are real money! I like how the larger notes are actually larger.

edit: dang that was a large image

just click the link:
http://thesprinklesfiles.pbworks.com/f/clydesdale.jpg

Most of England won't take them, even though Bank of England notes are regularly accepted all over Scotland.

mege
any chance the usa would issue a coin like this? o:)

If Darwin was an American, he might have made it onto a Postage Stamp (like he has several times in the UK)... the US tries to keep general circulation coins and paper simple (and even the Commemorative coins are generally some national-specific significance: President, battles, national event, etc).

If Darwin was an American, he might have made it onto a Postage Stamp (like he has several times in the UK)... the US tries to keep general circulation coins and paper simple (and even the Commemorative coins are generally some national-specific significance: President, battles, national event, etc).
Also every face on American money is of some politically important figure. Benjamin Franklin is not on the $100 in his capacity as a scientist. That's incidental. He's there as one of the "Founding Fathers".