Darwin Reflectivity Curve

• A
  • Thread starter Karl330
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation discusses research on kinematic and dynamic scattering of xrays on crystals. The speaker is attempting to simulate diffraction patterns of a silicon substrate and is confused about how to apply the equations of the Darwin Curve to their code. The equations given in the book are used to calculate intensity reflectivity based on the amplitude reflectivity for one layer. The speaker mentions an article by Batterman and Cole in Rev Mod Phys that provides more details on calculating dynamical diffraction curves.
Karl330
Hello I am doing research on kinematic and dynamic scattering of xrays on a crystals. I am attempting to simulate the diffraction patterns of a silicon substrate and I have already simulated two other layers of a Silicon Quantum Well and SiGe from which the hetero structure was composed of. In my book called Elements of Modern Xray Physics it tells me that the scattering amplitude squared is the scattered intensity. I understand that dynamical scattering is used for a substrate(infinite amounts of layers) but I am confused how to apply the equations of the Darwin Curve(dynamical under the curve and kinematical outside of the curve) to put into my code apart from using the scattered intensity with the kinematical approximation. The equations that I was given in the book are Intensity Reflectivity = (S_o/T_o)(S_o/T_o)* = (x-√x^2-1)^2 for x≥1, 1 for abs(x) ≤1, (x+√x^2-1)^2 for x≤1. Where x= ∈/g, ∈=mπζ-πζ, g is defined as the amplitude reflectivity for one layer. Sorry for the confusing symbols, I guess that is why I am so confused. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the Darwin Reflectivity Curve?

The Darwin Reflectivity Curve is a graphical representation of the reflectivity of various surfaces at different angles of incidence. It was first discovered and studied by Charles Darwin in the 19th century during his research on the optical properties of minerals and crystals.

How is the Darwin Reflectivity Curve measured?

The Darwin Reflectivity Curve is typically measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light reflected off a surface at different angles of incidence. The data is then plotted on a graph to create the curve.

What factors affect the shape of the Darwin Reflectivity Curve?

There are several factors that can affect the shape of the Darwin Reflectivity Curve, including the composition and texture of the surface, the wavelength of light being used, and the angle of incidence. Additionally, surface roughness and imperfections can also impact the curve.

What is the significance of the Darwin Reflectivity Curve?

The Darwin Reflectivity Curve is important in understanding the optical properties of various surfaces, such as minerals and crystals. It can also be used in the study of light and its interactions with matter, as well as in the development of new materials with desired reflective properties.

How is the Darwin Reflectivity Curve related to other optical curves?

The Darwin Reflectivity Curve is closely related to other optical curves, such as the Fresnel Reflectivity Curve and the Brewster Angle Curve. These curves all show the relationship between the angle of incidence and the amount of light reflected off a surface, but they differ in the specific properties and materials being studied.