Darwin turns 200

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
I don't know quite what the heck is up with ~60% of my fellow citizens...

36% ... or more than half of those are maybe just being lazy and don't want to discuss it.

But I do agree that it is somewhat shocking to think that there is that much darkness out there as to afford so many the shelter to be so ill informed.

It makes if anything the case that evolution is under-taught in schools and maybe high schools out to require a whole year curriculum on the subject.

That would make Darwin smile.

Shultz. I think the professor's name was Dr. Shultz with the Department of Physics and Astronomy. I might be wrong. It has been a while since I studied there.... But he was interested in reconciling Genesis and Evolution (not professionally of course, but as a side interest).

Also see:

http://media.www.tkcvoice.com/media/storage/paper1384/news/2008/12/12/StudentLife/Francis.Collins.Defends.God.And.Science.At.Sitc-3578432.shtml [Broken]

and

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/03/collins.commentary/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
That's just so boring though. It's way cooler when man is created by say, an ice-licking cow.

Heathen, it is the FSM. He created a Man a mountain and a midget and on the fifth day he rested, creating the first four day weekend. Clearly and unequivocally proving that he was superior to all the other mythical beings.

him2.jpg

The vatican never really objected to Darwin and didn't ban his books.

The Anglican church was the main objector but CofE bishops in the 19c were hardly theological giants, it was more a social club for younger sons of aristocracy.

Surprisingly the Vatican has never been that anti-science, it sees the long term benefits in not looking too stupid. Most of the famous cases of Galileo/Bruno etc were more due to politics than science.

The Vatican has flirted with creationism more than once and let us not forget Galileo.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The Vatican has flirted with creationism more than once and let us not forget Galileo.
Generally the Catholic church has been a bit more flexible about seeing the bible as alegory than protestant churches - for most of history the prevailing view was that creation happened all at once.

Galileo is a little more complex than mad frothing at the mouth bishops and brave scientist. Galileo got caught up in office politics (and there's nothing like C16 Italian church for office politics!). His house arrest can also be seen as something more along the lines of being taken under the protection of one faction.