Troubleshooting: Dash Photon Detector for Car Aircon Recirculation Button

In summary: That way it would only need a power connection and a buzzer.Alternatively, you could try to build your own photon detector using a diode and some electronics. This will require some soldering and knowledge of electricity.
chirhone
My car aircon recirculation button often turns off by itself. I guess this happens when the aircon is cold enough.

received_578342043021906.jpeg

Problem is. When it turns off and the indicator light disappears, the pollution outside gets into my car and my pm2.5 monitor registers 20x higher.

What kind of photon detector can I fit into the almost 2 inches round button so if it detects the light is turns on it will sound a buzzer alerting me to it? I post this here instead of at Computing and Technology because the photon diode may need to be assembled using wires and small dc battery, hence connected to electrical.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Commercial photo diodes are cheap, simple and tiny (<1 mm2 isn't an issue). Let one activate a transistor that switches an oscillator, hook it up to a small speaker. It will need a bit of tuning to get the light threshold right. Add a switch to disable the system. Battery, speaker and switch will probably be the largest parts. If the sound should stop after a while you need a bit more electronics.

mfb said:
Commercial photo diodes are cheap, simple and tiny (<1 mm2 isn't an issue). Let one activate a transistor that switches an oscillator, hook it up to a small speaker. It will need a bit of tuning to get the light threshold right. Add a switch to disable the system. Battery, speaker and switch will probably be the largest parts. If the sound should stop after a while you need a bit more electronics.

Do you know something more accessible like a module? I don't know how to design it from scratch like connecting transistors to the photodiodes. There may be commercial photodiodes with transistors already that I can just use it by connecting to the battery? Anyone?

There is a good chance that such a thing exists as a pre-built component, but finding that might need some time. A buzzer that just needs power would take care of the oscillator, that gets rid of most individual components.

Why not just do a little probing around under the dash and find the wire that turns on the light and connect it directly to a buzzer or a on-off buzzer driving circuit such as a 555 timer?

Likes rbelli1 and davenn

1. What is a dash photon detector and how does it work?

A dash photon detector is a sensor used in car air conditioning systems to detect the presence of light. It works by using a photoelectric cell, which converts light into an electric current. When the recirculation button is pressed, the detector senses the change in light entering the car and triggers the aircon system to recirculate the air inside the car.

2. Why is the recirculation button not working?

There could be several reasons why the recirculation button is not working. It could be due to a faulty dash photon detector, a problem with the wiring, or a malfunction in the aircon system itself. It is best to consult a professional mechanic to diagnose and fix the issue.

3. How can I troubleshoot the dash photon detector?

If you suspect that the dash photon detector is causing the issue with the recirculation button, you can troubleshoot it by checking the wiring and connections for any damage or loose connections. You can also test the detector using a multimeter to see if it is receiving and sending out the correct electrical signals.

4. Can the dash photon detector be replaced or repaired?

Yes, the dash photon detector can be replaced or repaired if it is found to be faulty. However, it is important to note that this is a delicate and specialized component, so it is best to have it done by a professional mechanic to ensure proper installation and functionality.

5. How often should the dash photon detector be replaced?

The dash photon detector does not have a specific replacement schedule. It should only be replaced if it is found to be faulty or not functioning properly. Regular maintenance and check-ups of the aircon system can help detect any issues with the detector before it causes problems with the recirculation button.