Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dashpot/damper design

1. May 10, 2015 #1
    afternoon y'all,

I'm looking for some references on damper design, piston-in-cylinder type since that is the most common. Does anyone know of any textbooks or handbooks that focus on this material? I'm working on some designs for a dashpot with air as the damping medium.

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2015 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

I found Principles of Vibration, by B.H. Tongue to be good.

4. May 15, 2015 #3
    I'll check it out, thanks for the recommendation. Does it have anything on different damping mechanisms, i.e. how to actually design a device that will provide a significant damping force?

5. May 15, 2015 #4

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Yes it does. It was the set text for an undergraduate course I took on machine dynamics. It's not a hand book so if you just want to find rule of thumb equations and don't want to understand the fundamentals you may want to look else where. I'd guess hand books on automotive dampers (if they exist) would be a good start.

6. May 15, 2015 #5
    I'll definitely look into it. I like to understand the physics behind devices so I think I would like this reference. Again, thanks for the recommendation :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook