Dashpot Design: Air-based Piston-in-Cylinder Dampers

• Thread starter moogull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the conversation focused on finding references for damper design, specifically piston-in-cylinder type. The recommended textbook, Principles of Vibration by B.H. Tongue, covers different damping mechanisms and is a good resource for understanding the fundamentals of machine dynamics. The conversation also suggests looking into handbooks on automotive dampers for more practical equations.
moogull
afternoon y'all,

I'm looking for some references on damper design, piston-in-cylinder type since that is the most common. Does anyone know of any textbooks or handbooks that focus on this material? I'm working on some designs for a dashpot with air as the damping medium.

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
I found Principles of Vibration, by B.H. Tongue to be good.

I'll check it out, thanks for the recommendation. Does it have anything on different damping mechanisms, i.e. how to actually design a device that will provide a significant damping force?

Yes it does. It was the set text for an undergraduate course I took on machine dynamics. It's not a hand book so if you just want to find rule of thumb equations and don't want to understand the fundamentals you may want to look else where. I'd guess hand books on automotive dampers (if they exist) would be a good start.

I'll definitely look into it. I like to understand the physics behind devices so I think I would like this reference. Again, thanks for the recommendation :)

1. What is a dashpot design and how does it work?

A dashpot design is a mechanical system used to dampen or reduce the amplitude of vibrations in a system. It consists of a piston inside a cylinder filled with air or other fluid. When the piston moves, it compresses the air, creating resistance which slows down the motion of the piston and absorbs energy from the system.

2. What are some common applications of air-based piston-in-cylinder dampers?

Air-based piston-in-cylinder dampers are commonly used in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, and industrial equipment. They are used to reduce vibrations in engines, suspension systems, and other moving parts that can cause unwanted noise, wear and tear, and reduced performance.

3. How does the design of the piston and cylinder affect the performance of a dashpot?

The design of the piston and cylinder can greatly impact the performance of a dashpot. A larger piston or cylinder will have a greater surface area, resulting in more resistance and better damping. The material and surface finish of the piston and cylinder also play a role in the efficiency of the dashpot.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using air-based piston-in-cylinder dampers?

One potential drawback of air-based piston-in-cylinder dampers is the possibility of air leakage. If the seal between the piston and cylinder is not tight enough, air can escape and reduce the effectiveness of the damper. Additionally, air-based dampers may also be affected by temperature changes, which can alter the damping characteristics.

5. How can the damping force of a dashpot be adjusted?

The damping force of a dashpot can be adjusted by changing the air pressure inside the cylinder. Increasing the air pressure will result in a higher damping force, while decreasing the pressure will result in a lower damping force. Some dashpots also have adjustable valves or orifices to control the flow of air, allowing for more precise adjustments.