Data Acquisition Help with NI PCI-6025E and LabView

• Thread starter jamesrc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data
In summary, the data acquisition program on the NI PCI-6025E board appears to be giving incorrect readings due to the board being in single-ended mode.
jamesrc
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,

I've got a little mental block with something I'm working on and was hoping someone could help out:

I'm doing some data acquisition with a National Instruments PCI-6025E board using LabView (not a lot of experience with LabView by the way). Anyway, the board is supposed to be a 12-bit board and the input range (for the analog inputs) is supposed to be -10 to +10 V. If I do the math, my resolution should be 20/(2^12) = 4.9 mV, right? Why, then, when I read data using the program does it appear that my resolution is twice that (I see steps in the data recording spaced ~2.5 mV apart). Any hints on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any chance you have it configured in single-ended mode? That will double the resolution. Or maybe it's in +/-5V range mode?

Your math appears correct for the +/-10V range.

That was it - it's in single ended mode.

Thanks for the help.

While I've got you and since you mentioned range, do you happen to know how the ranging works when you're using the DAQ assistant wizard (I know, this is what I get for using a black box component). I mean, I think the board specs allow for +/-50mV to +/-10V ranges; if you enter in the range you are using, will it adjust accordingly? What if you choose a range that isn't one of the board selectable ranges? Like if I enter +/-9V (not that I planned to) will it behave the same as if it were +/-10V? Thanks again.

Glad to help. I'm not of any help on your follow-up question unfortunately. But NI has pretty good support, so you should be able to just give them a call on Monday to ask about what kind of errors get thrown by the different parts of their software.

OK. Thanks again.

1. What is a NI PCI-6025E data acquisition card?

The NI PCI-6025E is a data acquisition card made by National Instruments that allows for the collection of analog and digital data from external sensors and devices. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications for data acquisition and control.

2. How do I set up the NI PCI-6025E for data acquisition?

To set up the NI PCI-6025E for data acquisition, you will need to install the necessary drivers and software, such as NI-DAQmx and LabVIEW. Then, you will need to configure the card in the software to specify the type of data you want to acquire and the sampling rate. Finally, you can connect your external sensors or devices to the card and begin data acquisition.

3. What is LabVIEW and how does it work with the NI PCI-6025E?

LabVIEW is a graphical programming language commonly used in data acquisition and control applications. It allows you to create custom programs to control the NI PCI-6025E and process the acquired data. LabVIEW works with the NI PCI-6025E through the use of its built-in data acquisition functions and drivers.

4. Can I use the NI PCI-6025E with other software besides LabVIEW?

Yes, the NI PCI-6025E can be used with other software such as MATLAB, Python, or C/C++ through the use of NI-DAQmx drivers. However, LabVIEW is the most commonly used software for data acquisition with this specific card.

5. What are the typical applications for the NI PCI-6025E and LabVIEW?

The NI PCI-6025E and LabVIEW are commonly used in scientific and engineering applications for data acquisition and control. This includes applications such as environmental monitoring, structural and mechanical testing, and industrial automation. They are also used in research and development for data analysis and instrumentation control.