1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Data Analysis

1. Aug 7, 2007 #1
    I have trouble figuring out a data problem. Please take your time to help me out. Thanks in advance!

1. The ordered pairs represent the scores on two consecutive 15 point quizzes for a class of 18 students. (data provided) Why is the graph not linear?

My solution: They provided me data and when I graphed them they were not linear but in fact like a "blob". Are the data not linear because everyone has different scores?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2007 #2
    I think it's like (test 1,test 2) for 18 different students. If your getting a "blob" (no correlation) it would be because that the students are not receiving the same scores on both of their tests, and also because the students are not scoring the same scores as their classmates.

4. Aug 8, 2007 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why would you expect a linear relationship between the 2 tests? Each is an independent event. Some will get similar scores, others will do better on one then the other. There is no single rule linking the 2 tests.

5. Aug 8, 2007 #4
    Yeah it's kind of a weird question to ask... :confused:

6. Aug 11, 2007 #5

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only circumstance in which you would observe a line (through the origin) is when X and Y are perfectly positively correlated; that is Corr(X,Y) = +1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?