Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Data conversion question

1. May 4, 2006 #1
    Hello all....

Suppose I have a camera that is recording data and then sending it over firewire (1394) to a monitor and displaying VGA (or DVI).

What I want to do is split the firewire into two outputs…

1. The normal fire wire output that gets sent to the monitor
    2. An analog video signal (NTSC format) that we will eventually convert
    into a fiber signal.

Is there an existing piece of hardware that will perform the function of splitting the firewire output and convert one output to NTSC format? If there is then I am having a difficult time locating it.

Does anyone know of any way to do this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might try seeing if the cameras AV output is active while the computer is driving the firewire connection.
    The camera AV output would be your NTSC signal.

To do it the way you are asking is probably possible, but its not likely you will find something that does it.
  4. Jun 29, 2006 #3
    If I understand you correctly there is a device that can do this. I just need to speak with my friend and ask what it is called. I remember it being very expensive...
  5. Jun 29, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with NoTime. You're really barking up the wrong tree with trying to convert FireWire (digital, MPG-compressed video) into NTSC (analog). The camera probably already has both outputs; just use both.

- Warren
  6. Jun 29, 2006 #5
    If it doesn't have both, look into a dazzle dv bridge: http://www.cwol.com/dazzle/dazzle-dv-bridge.htm

It's got a good amount of inputs and outputs including firewire and NTSC
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?