Data convolution

• Thread starter Kartik82
  • Start date
Hi, Can any one please help me in convoluting atomic data. Along x-axis I have wavelenght and on Y axis I have scattered intensity. I want to convolute with FWHM of 20mm.
Thanks
Kartik

Answers and Replies

Quantum Defect
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi, Can any one please help me in convoluting atomic data. Along x-axis I have wavelenght and on Y axis I have scattered intensity. I want to convolute with FWHM of 20mm.
Thanks
Kartik

What is your lineshape?

What is your lineshape?
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Its Gaussian profile. As an example please see the attached one data set that I want to convolute.

Attachments

• Data.xlsx
    22.9 KB · Views: 154
Quantum Defect
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Its Gaussian profile. As an example please see the attached one data set that I want to convolute.

X and Y are what?

Quantum Defect
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi, X-axis is wavelength and y-axis is intensity.
Best regards,
Kartik

First thing generally is to sort the transitions by wavelength/frequency however you want to do things.
You can do this in excel, but it is more efficient to write a program to do this.

If you do this in excel, you want to create a set of x values that are uniformly spaced, with a point density that is good enough to give you a smoothness that you can live with. I.e. 3 points over your FWHM is probably too coarse, but 3,000 is way to many. You decide. Populate a column vector with these values.

You can create the spectrum of Gaussian lines in a variety of ways. The simplest (but computationally inefficient way) is to add up all of the contributions for all of the lines at each X grid point.

e.g. if x = 8.0000, y = SUM(Intensity_i*(exp[-(8.0000-x_i)^2/sigma] ) Where "Intensity_i" are your y-values in your original spreadsheet, the "x_i" are the x values in your original spreadsheet, and sigma is obtained from the Gaussian that you are assuming. If the different transitions have different effective Gaussian widths, you could have a third column in your original spreadsheet. In excel, you may get a floating point error if you are too far away from the line (i.e. if x is too far away from x_i), in which case you may have to play with the limits of the sum. In a program, you could fix these with something that checks to see if x is more than 4 sigma away from the xi, and not bother to calculate the intensity if the line falls outside of this range.

First thing generally is to sort the transitions by wavelength/frequency however you want to do things.
You can do this in excel, but it is more efficient to write a program to do this.

If you do this in excel, you want to create a set of x values that are uniformly spaced, with a point density that is good enough to give you a smoothness that you can live with. I.e. 3 points over your FWHM is probably too coarse, but 3,000 is way to many. You decide. Populate a column vector with these values.

You can create the spectrum of Gaussian lines in a variety of ways. The simplest (but computationally inefficient way) is to add up all of the contributions for all of the lines at each X grid point.

e.g. if x = 8.0000, y = SUM(Intensity_i*(exp[-(8.0000-x_i)^2/sigma] ) Where "Intensity_i" are your y-values in your original spreadsheet, the "x_i" are the x values in your original spreadsheet, and sigma is obtained from the Gaussian that you are assuming. If the different transitions have different effective Gaussian widths, you could have a third column in your original spreadsheet. In excel, you may get a floating point error if you are too far away from the line (i.e. if x is too far away from x_i), in which case you may have to play with the limits of the sum. In a program, you could fix these with something that checks to see if x is more than 4 sigma away from the xi, and not bother to calculate the intensity if the line falls outside of this range.
Hi,
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I will work on this and will let you know how it goes.
Best regards,
Kartik