Convolute Atomic Data - Wavelength & Intensity FWHM 20mm

In summary: Hi,Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I will work on this and will let you know how it goes.Best regards,Kartik
Kartik82
Hi, Can anyone please help me in convoluting atomic data. Along x-axis I have wavelenght and on Y axis I have scattered intensity. I want to convolute with FWHM of 20mm.
Thanks
Kartik

Physics news on Phys.org
Kartik82 said:
Hi, Can anyone please help me in convoluting atomic data. Along x-axis I have wavelenght and on Y axis I have scattered intensity. I want to convolute with FWHM of 20mm.
Thanks
Kartik

What is your lineshape?

Quantum Defect said:
What is your lineshape?
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Its Gaussian profile. As an example please see the attached one data set that I want to convolute.

Attachments

• Data.xlsx
    22.9 KB · Views: 214
Kartik82 said:
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Its Gaussian profile. As an example please see the attached one data set that I want to convolute.

X and Y are what?

Quantum Defect said:
X and Y are what?
Hi, X-axis is wavelength and y-axis is intensity.

Kartik

Kartik82 said:
Hi, X-axis is wavelength and y-axis is intensity.

Kartik

First thing generally is to sort the transitions by wavelength/frequency however you want to do things.
You can do this in excel, but it is more efficient to write a program to do this.

If you do this in excel, you want to create a set of x values that are uniformly spaced, with a point density that is good enough to give you a smoothness that you can live with. I.e. 3 points over your FWHM is probably too coarse, but 3,000 is way to many. You decide. Populate a column vector with these values.

You can create the spectrum of Gaussian lines in a variety of ways. The simplest (but computationally inefficient way) is to add up all of the contributions for all of the lines at each X grid point.

e.g. if x = 8.0000, y = SUM(Intensity_i*(exp[-(8.0000-x_i)^2/sigma] ) Where "Intensity_i" are your y-values in your original spreadsheet, the "x_i" are the x values in your original spreadsheet, and sigma is obtained from the Gaussian that you are assuming. If the different transitions have different effective Gaussian widths, you could have a third column in your original spreadsheet. In excel, you may get a floating point error if you are too far away from the line (i.e. if x is too far away from x_i), in which case you may have to play with the limits of the sum. In a program, you could fix these with something that checks to see if x is more than 4 sigma away from the xi, and not bother to calculate the intensity if the line falls outside of this range.

Quantum Defect said:
First thing generally is to sort the transitions by wavelength/frequency however you want to do things.
You can do this in excel, but it is more efficient to write a program to do this.

If you do this in excel, you want to create a set of x values that are uniformly spaced, with a point density that is good enough to give you a smoothness that you can live with. I.e. 3 points over your FWHM is probably too coarse, but 3,000 is way to many. You decide. Populate a column vector with these values.

You can create the spectrum of Gaussian lines in a variety of ways. The simplest (but computationally inefficient way) is to add up all of the contributions for all of the lines at each X grid point.

e.g. if x = 8.0000, y = SUM(Intensity_i*(exp[-(8.0000-x_i)^2/sigma] ) Where "Intensity_i" are your y-values in your original spreadsheet, the "x_i" are the x values in your original spreadsheet, and sigma is obtained from the Gaussian that you are assuming. If the different transitions have different effective Gaussian widths, you could have a third column in your original spreadsheet. In excel, you may get a floating point error if you are too far away from the line (i.e. if x is too far away from x_i), in which case you may have to play with the limits of the sum. In a program, you could fix these with something that checks to see if x is more than 4 sigma away from the xi, and not bother to calculate the intensity if the line falls outside of this range.
Hi,
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I will work on this and will let you know how it goes.

Kartik

What is Convolute Atomic Data?

Convolute Atomic Data refers to a set of organized information that includes the wavelength and intensity of atomic spectral lines. These lines represent the specific wavelengths of light emitted by an atom in an excited state.

What is the significance of Wavelength & Intensity FWHM 20mm?

The Wavelength & Intensity FWHM, or Full Width at Half Maximum, of 20mm refers to the range of wavelengths and corresponding intensities that make up the spectral line. This measurement is important because it gives us information about the width and shape of the spectral line, which can provide insights into the energy levels and transitions of the atoms.

How is Convolute Atomic Data collected?

Convolute Atomic Data is collected using spectroscopy, a technique that involves passing light through a sample and measuring the resulting spectrum. This spectrum is then compared to a known set of spectral lines to identify the elements present and their respective wavelengths and intensities.

What is the purpose of studying Convolute Atomic Data?

The study of Convolute Atomic Data is important for understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in various environments. This data can be used to identify elements in a sample, determine their energy levels and transitions, and even provide insights into the physical and chemical properties of the sample.

How is Convolute Atomic Data used in scientific research?

Convolute Atomic Data is used in various fields of scientific research, such as astrophysics, analytical chemistry, and materials science. It can help identify the composition and characteristics of materials, study the properties of elements in the universe, and aid in the development of new technologies.