Data logging on oscilloscopes

• Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data
In summary, the oscilloscope can be set to save user-specified waveforms to a USB memory device, but you will not be able to measure average peak to peak values for each triggered waveform.
rwooduk
I am trying to measure and record the change in peak to peak voltage (measured by a hydrophone) for the following experimental set-up:

fXOwCUU.jpg

As you can see the waveform in the vessel changes with vertical location, therefore I have a hydrophone connected to a motor that can adjust its position. The problem I am having is how to log the data!

My oscilloscope has logging ability (when you plug in a USB) but I'm slightly confused:

1. Initial testing shows that the oscilloscope doesn't log into one file continuously it saves a file every 10 seconds or so, there seems to be no way of controlling this? It seems to capture ONLY the waveform in that period:

Example: File 1

75d8bHJ.jpg

Example: File 2 (~10 seconds later)

fKz6tsE.jpg

2. Ideally I want to log peak to peak voltage as the measuring device changes position, is this possible?

In short, I need one file from the oscilloscope that shows how the peak to peak voltage changes when the motor is set to a set velocity (~1mm/s) and the hydrophone position changes. Has anyone done anything like this before? Any advice would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ahh, it's ok i think i have it...

The USB host port on the front panel enables you to save your instrument settings, screenshots, and waveform data in a flash. The built-in Data Logging feature means you can set up your oscilloscope to save user-specified triggered waveforms to a USB memory device for up to 24 hours. You can also select the "Infinite" option for continuous waveform monitoring. With this mode you can save your triggered waveforms to an external USB memory device without a duration limitation until the memory device is full. The oscilloscope will then guide you to insert another USB memory device to continue saving waveforms.

So I need to set it to "infinite monitoring". Although this still won't give me average peak to peak values for each triggered waveform. In fact I don't want to trigger at all, I just want Vpk-pk versus time as the measuring devices position changes.

I'll keep trying, if there are any suggestions it would be great.

1. What is data logging on an oscilloscope?

Data logging on an oscilloscope refers to the process of recording and saving voltage measurements over a period of time. This allows for analysis and comparison of signals over time.

2. How does data logging work on an oscilloscope?

Data logging on an oscilloscope involves setting up trigger conditions, selecting a time interval, and choosing a memory depth to capture the desired amount of data. The oscilloscope then continuously records voltage measurements and stores them in memory for later analysis.

3. Can data logging be done on any type of oscilloscope?

Yes, most modern oscilloscopes have the capability to perform data logging. However, the features and capabilities may differ between different models and manufacturers.

4. What are the benefits of data logging on an oscilloscope?

Data logging allows for the visualization of signals over time, making it easier to identify patterns and anomalies. It also allows for the comparison of signals from multiple channels or different time periods, providing valuable insights for troubleshooting and analysis.

5. How do I analyze and interpret the data collected from data logging on an oscilloscope?

Data logging data can be analyzed and interpreted using various tools and techniques such as waveform math, measurement statistics, and spectral analysis. Some oscilloscopes also have built-in analysis features for easier interpretation of data.