Privacy of Members on Physicsforums: What is Stored and Protected?

• Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
In summary, private messages on PF may be viewed by administrators and can be used to investigate any potential abuse of the site. The use of IP addresses is necessary for internet communication and may be used in certain circumstances to protect the site and its users.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
I have a question regarding the privacy of the members of PF. I am wondering if our private messages are recoverable by admins or anyone else, as well as what exactly is being stored. If Greg was sent a subpoena for a member's private message history, would that be possible? Are the members being protected? Is there even an obligation to protect us?

Is there only a technological limiting reason for why IP Addresses are needed to register accounts and to log on? Would it be possible to not store that information? For us to post with only our Username and no IP address or anything else associated with us, unless of course choosing to reveal more on our profile page.

How much do the admins know about us??

Hopefully this doesn't come off as stark, I am just curious.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've flagged this for attention from Greg. He's traveling at the moment, so there may be a delay in responding. In the meantime, any posts from non-admins speculating about our possible policy on these questions will be removed. Let's wait till we can get it from the "horse's mouth", so to speak.

(I assume you've seen the privacy policy which is linked at the bottom of every page here. It doesn't appear to mention private messages explicitly.)

Private messages are addressed in the forum guidelines.

Private Messages (PMs): If exclusively personal contact is needed, use the Private Message system. PMs are NOT to be used to seek assistance with homework assignments or textbook exercises--post such questions in the appropriate forum in our Homework & Coursework Questions area. The administrator reserves the right to, and can, view all private messages.

As far as how much is archived and for how long, that would be a question for Greg as to whether he wishes to answer.

Maylis said:
Is there only a technological limiting reason for why IP Addresses are needed to register accounts and to log on?
All internet communication works via IP addresses. You cannot be in the internet without an IP address. Concerning storing that information:
Would it be possible to not store that information? For us to post with only our Username and no IP address or anything else associated with us, unless of course choosing to reveal more on our profile page.
It has a juristic reason. Forum owners do not want to be responsible for posts made by other members, so there has to be some (at least theoretical) way to say "he did that, not me".

See our https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=131804 :

IP addresses of users, derived either from those logs or from records in the database are frequently used to correlate usernames and network addresses of edits in investigating abuse of the site, including the suspected use of malicious "sockpuppets" (duplicate accounts), vandalism, harassment of other users, or disruption of the site.

Policy on release of data derived from page logs

It is the policy of Physicsforums.com that personally identifiable data collected in the server logs may be released by the staff in the following situations:

1. In response to a valid subpoena or other compulsory request from law enforcement
2. With permission of the affected user
3. To the owner of Physicsforums.com, his legal counsel, or his designee, when necessary for investigation of abuse complaints.
4. Where the information pertains to page views generated by a spider or bot and its dissemination is necessary to illustrate or resolve technical issues.
5. Where the user has been vandalising the site or persistently behaving in a disruptive way, data may be released to assist in the targeting of IP blocks, or to assist in the formulation of a complaint to relevant Internet Service Providers
6. Where it is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property or safety of the owner of Physicsforums.com, its users or the public.

Physicsforums.com policy does not permit public distribution of such information under any circumstances, except as described above.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What information is stored about members on Physicsforums?

Physicsforums stores basic personal information about its members such as username, email address, and password. It also stores any additional information that members choose to provide in their profile, such as their location, educational background, and areas of interest.

2. Is my personal information protected on Physicsforums?

Yes, Physicsforums takes the privacy of its members very seriously and employs strict security measures to protect personal information. This includes encryption of sensitive data and regular security audits to ensure the safety of members' information.

3. Can other members see my personal information?

No, other members cannot see your personal information. Physicsforums allows members to choose which information is visible to others in their profile settings. By default, only your username and country are visible to other members.

4. Does Physicsforums share my personal information with third parties?

No, Physicsforums does not share or sell personal information of its members to third parties. The only exception is when required by law or in the event of a security breach.

5. How can I delete my personal information from Physicsforums?

You can delete your account and all associated personal information by contacting the Physicsforums team. However, please note that this will also delete any posts and discussions you have made on the forum.